Wednesday, March 26, 2008

South Western Exposure


S0, Easter weekend came an went. My brother arrived via TTC at the Metro Toronto Zoo exactly on schedule, as did my husband and I. The day was so gorgeous and sunny that we unanimously agreed to spend as much time outdoors as possible, negotiating the undulating paved pathways that wind their ways across acres of parkland. The temperature was a crisp -1C, but the March sunshine was so strong that it warmed up every surface it struck.
Of course we had to make a pilgrimage to the Arctic Wolf paddock, a long hike down a steep hill into a wooded valley. The wolves were sleeping, soundly, lost in whatever land captive wolves inhabit in their dreams. Curiously, they all were aligned neatly along some invisible line. It was only upon midnight reflection that I realized they'd all arranged their bellies to the south west to soak up maximum heat from the sun.
Sleeping, snoozing, lounging seemed to be the theme of the day, because we spent most of our time anxiously watching and waiting for any movement at all. Mostly, movement was minimal. Animals are quite good at conserving energy for went it really counts. A raised head, or a twitch of a tail was enough to elicit elated comments. While watching a lone fur seal float languidly in her pool, my brother observed "Man, I'd love to be a zoo animal. They'd give me a couch, a tv, and all the burgers I could eat". To which I said, "Yah, and whenever you'd roll over to burp or fart, the crowd would 'ooh' and 'aaah' with excitement."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin