Saturday, April 26, 2008

Intersection


I saw a fox in the woods the other day. He looked at me; I looked at him, each as startled as the other. For a few seconds he froze, making assessments. I was mesmerized, he was most likely frightened, as I travel with a rather large dog. Prudence prevailed, and the fox leapt away, through the trees, across the hill, down into the valley and out of sight.
How many times, I wonder, have we crossed paths before. I travel the same forest bi-ways, again and again, and never before caught so much as a red-haired glimpse of him. If my dog could talk, she'd tell you a different story. She would say, the fox is here everyday! The fox smells good! Like cats and dogs and things that run! She would say, the fox is everywhere! Over here! Over there! The smell is everywhere! I can say this, because for weeks, months even, I've wondered why, at the edge of the valley, my dog stops and alerts, sniffing the air, ears pricked high, pointing with one foot raised (sometimes a hind leg, she's a shepherd, not a pointer) but always looking a lot more excited than if it was 'just squirrels'. Now I have my answer, and I'll be extra sure she never gets a chance to chase him. After all, we are travelling through the fox's yard and we want to be good guests.
Fox sighting: April 22 2008, Hollidge Tract
Pencil on paper, colours added electronically.

4 comments:

Donna Sundblad said...

When I lived in Florida, I regularly had a fox in the back yard, and often saw a fox when I went for my walk. Their beautiful animals.

Donna Sundblad

kaslkaos said...

Thank you for sharing your experience with foxes. I always love to hear about our furred, feathered and finned compatriots.

marina said...

I really enjoyed this post. And the drawing is great! The fox looks just like my dog Loki (you can see him in my About page).
I loved when I read "After all, we are travelling through the fox's yard and we want to be good guests."
Not so many people feel that way in this world anymore...
Thank you!
Marina

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Marina. I don't always have time to do a 'finished' piece, so it's nice to get a compliment on a quick sketch! It sounds like you too try to tread softly in the forest. I hope there are more and more and more people who feel this way or else the forest will all be gone. Then what will we dream of?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin