Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Spring Symphony

If you ask me what my favourite song is, I'll tell you it is frog song. Every year I try to find the time and the place (& places are getting harder to come by) to listen to their alien symphonies.
I found this little frog pond last fall and marked it in memory for a return visit in spring.
On April 21, the temperatures were very warm--I would call them hot. The sun bore down from a flat blue sky, there was no shade from the leafless trees and the air was still. When I found what was left of a snow bank, I grabbed handfuls of the stuff to cool myself down. My dog just plunged right in and rolled. Now, that was cute, but she had the same idea when we got to the frog pond and she wallowed like a pig in the black muck. Our noisy invasion put a quick end to the concert, but with time and patience the frogs started up again, first one, then another, like flute and piccollo beginning the warm-up, prior to the main performance. Eventually, after forbidding the dog to re-enter the pond, the frogs went back to the business of romance and I was treated to a rich and varied concert. There were spring peepers, toads trilling, and varieties I can't yet put a name to, including a few noises I swear I've never heard before.
Such moments are fleeting gifts of time to be taken whenever the opportunity arises.

Sighting: York Regional Forest, North Tract, April 21, 2008
Medium: Pencil Crayon on Bristol
Size: 11" x 14"

3 comments:

Donna Sundblad said...

This reminds me of a piece I wrote titled "Nature's Harmony". If it gets published, I'll let you know. Mine takes place along the shore, but tree frogs are still involved.

Peaceful just reading your post.

Donna

Chrissy said...

What a lovely picture you paint, in conjuring up the scene :-D

kaslkaos said...

Hey Donna, good luck in your publications. I've written, and submitted (once or twice) but never been published. Must be fun.

Chrissy, thanks for the elegant compliment. I've been have a bad art day or two, wondering "why am I doing this?" and "is anybody out there", so compliment was most welcome and timely.

Happy blogging to you all.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin