Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What lies beneath...

Maybe you've had one, maybe you haven't. If you're female, you probably will have one, or many, sooner or later.
It was a routine mammogram, but still, I scheduled it for early morning just to get it over with. They are not high on my list of fun things to do. Back home at my desk, I couldn't think of anything else. After scribbling aimlessly on the page, I finally gave in, and tackled the elephant in the room. My mammogram. This flesh belongs to me; I own it, I wear it, but I have no clue what all those mysterious lumpy bits that lie beneath the skin really are. I don't know if they are good bits, or bad bits. I once mistook a rib bone for a bad bump, so I understand the limitations of BSE. So I have to rely on the experts, those with plastic vise and the x-ray eyes to interpret things for me.
It's kinda like having someone check for scary monsters under your bed. They have the flashlight, and you're in the dark. They say they'll get back to you about what they found in a couple of weeks, meanwhile, you still have to sleep on that bed. I may be a nice bed, a plump bed, a comfy bed, but you're still stuck wondering what lurks in the darkness beneath.

4 comments:

Cyd said...

Oh, the mammogram - wouldn't it be cool if they took such lovely pictures. And here's hoping for nothing under the bed except the odd dust bunny.

kaslkaos said...

Okay, confession time. I'm such a weenie. The image was done on the day of, but I didn't dare post until I heard back from the doctor. I like to pretend I'm not superstitious but then there are times when I won't dare tempt fate. Everything okay with the rays. (knuckles & fingers still crossed)

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Good that the news was good.... The painting is beautiful....

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle. It was weird doing this pic, as at the time, I was really creeped out about the whole thing and it was the only thing I could think about.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin