Saturday, September 27, 2008

Fluted Helvella


This one was not photo-shopped, not even a little. Actually, I've been snapping mushrooms by the dozens lately. While they may be willing to pose endlessly for a still life, they do have a tendency to wilt, shrivel and shed worms and other invertebrate vermin all over the dining room table. Photos can make a good substitute. In this case, it was one snap in five that turned out to be a happy accident--three accidents actually.
1. The lens fogged up (its one of those days that are so dark you think maybe the sun forgot to rise).
2. I think I jiggled the camera (theres a bit of a ghost effect going on).
3. The black background leads me to believe the flash went off.
I didn't mean any of this to happen, but I sure am thrilled with the effect.

Image: digital photograph taken with a now stone-aged Fujifilm FinePix Camera (all of 2 megapixels).

4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

what an odd looking mushroom, looks like a ghost holding up its hands. It is a very nice photo :D

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer. It was just one of those things I had to show off. One of the prettiest of fungi, too.

Cyd said...

Wow, that is such an amazing photo! It looks so other-worldly - like something from a fantasy novel.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Cyd. Sometimes a photo is better than anything.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin