Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bed Sketch: #1


I love it when artists let it all hang out and show me their roughs, so I thought I'd present another of mine. I happen to like sketching in bed, usually after indulging in a good book. Sometimes, by the time I finish the next compelling chapter I'm just too sleepy, but other times I manage a page of sketching for better or worse. I often use computer paper for the roughest of sketches (you know, the obsolete kind with the punctured tear-away edges). I love the freedom of knowing that it costs me nothing (it was donated). It's not archival, but it doesn't need to be, as long as the pencil sticks. My right hand is in the picture--it was a terrible poser, as it kept moving every time I tried to draw! The left hand is always the more co-operative one. I'm wearing cut-off socks on my wrist--that's to keep my hands warm while I try to draw. Sometimes a cat obliges me, and sits on my hand, which is very warming, but it's difficult to get much done with a cat sitting on your arm. Now you may well wonder why it's so cold in the bedroom, so I'll pre-empt that question and tell you. My husband wears t-shirts in winter (no kidding) so he likes it that way. I like a challenge, and love the feeling of being buried beneath cats and blankets and cranking the thermostat down to 15C for the cold months is one way to accomplish this . Somehow it just feels right, even if I do wear socks on my hands. There--now you know.

Image: computer paper, pencil, mouse-play with digital colours. Click on image if you can't read the captions.

6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

"and his little dog too" snicker :D

great sketches :) 15C! o.0 I would be huddled up in 4 sleeping bags at the temp lol nothing wrong with socks on your hands, I would do that too if I had holey socks :p

kaslkaos said...

Heh heh, liked the little 'dog' eh?
The socks where holey. I found them on the roadside, nice thick woolly socks (still rolled). At $12/pair, yes I did pick 'em up, washed them, tried them on, too big alas, so now they're hand warmers...yes, I'm one of those weird career 'frugal' people .

Chrissy said...

I am laughin'.
BTW you asked how I manage to do so much..............and I meant to answer. Easy. I jus don't do no housework, LOL...
I have never tried to skecth/draw in bed tho..... :D

kaslkaos said...

Glad to amuse you, Chrissy. Sketching in bed is not recommended. Too sleepy.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love cats and thick blankets too! Although I can't say I have sketched in bed - except maybe on the RV?

kaslkaos said...

It would count in the RV, I think. I'm starting to think the bed sketching is just a little weird. Time for me to get scribbling and post another...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin