Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Firebird


So one day I came upon a gathering of people within the heart of the forest. Each one of them had their eyes fixed worshipfully upwards. Judging by their absolute rapture, I wondered if they spied a winged unicorn perched in that tree, or a three-toed griffin at the very least.
Curious, I asked.
A woodpecker, they answered in an awestruck whisper appropriate for the cathedral. Pileated, I thought, it must be a pileated, that most magnificent of forest birds, red-crested, tuxedo-clad and and massive. Hairy, its smaller and more common cousin it turned out to be. Disappointment was only momentary as I realized how wonderful it is to have seen one so often I was no longer surprised.
***This is a true story***

Image: ACEO 2.5 x 3.5 watercolour, gouache, metallics, ink on 200lb paper

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

gorgeous colours on that card :D

I've only seen a woodpecker once, spent forever watching it. Could always hear them but this one decided to peck at the trees on dad's yard. I felt privileged to see one, such interesting birds.

kaslkaos said...

I feed the birds on my verandah, and the small (downey) and medium (hairy) woodpecker come up and stay for minutes at a time (they're not shy!). So seeing people get so thrilled (and you telling me it was a rare thing) makes feel privileged.
PS. Firebird got SOLD!!! My first sale--way cool. Sorry, I just couldn't keep this to myself.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Great story and well told! I love woodpeckers and see quite a few of them here...

And the drawing is stunning....

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle for visiting yet again. Glad you liked my little true fable. The drawing of the Firebird was inspired by the incident; I was thinking of the magnificent Pileated but had no interest in doing an Audubon version. Woodpeckers are wonderful. I just filled up the suet cage again to thank them.

Chrissy said...

I love this drawing/painting, it is gorgeous, very vibrant.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin