Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Jewels of Autumn



My obsession, it is beginning to seem, is fungi. Fungi, mushrooms, whatever you wish to call them, the sprouting of their fruiting bodies feeds my endless fascination. Edible, poisonous, bitter, and bland, all of them ephemeral gems of the woodlands, the sight of them is a visual treasure regardless of practical uses.

I was walking in the eastern segment of the La Cloche Silhouette Trail of Killarney Provincial Park. There is hemlock wood in a dell nestled between a bald topped granite hill and deeply shaded cliff. It is buttressed by stately hemlock overarching the sky, and always greenly lit. It is difficult to believe in science, and easy to belief in fairies in this space. Seeing the forest floor glowing with large bulbous lilac coloured mushrooms seems like confirmation of every woodland myth ever spoken round the campfire. I knew as soon as I saw them, that I had to capture some of their magic. The camera was inadequate, but my trusty coloured pencils paved the way. While this is not exactly a field guide rendition, they are, for the record, Pungent Cort, Cortinarius Traganus, neither edible nor poisonous, and a little bit stinky. And yes, they really are lilac coloured.

Image: 13" x 6.5" on 11x14 Strathmore Bristol, coloured pencil. This scan cuts off the left & right edges, including my initials, hence the watermark. See my real life mundane name--maybe for the 1st time???

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

lovely colours :D that would defiantly be a great site to see.

Chrissy said...

Haha, as a child I was convinced that fairies lived in toadstools and mushies..nice work :D

kaslkaos said...

Hey, thank you Jennifer. Yes, it was wonderful, they really were silvery and lilac and I tried to memorize with my eyes.
Chrissy, I was a Startrek child, so I missed the 'believe in fairies' stage , I'm still working on that. Glad you like it, thanks.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Gorgeous... I am inclined to the faeries, too! ;-)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks for stopping by again, Michelle, and the compliment-always welcome, of course! Faeries are easier to believe in when you walk in the woods.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin