Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Don't Eat These..


My best guess as to the identity of these shrivelled and cob-web bedecked fungi is Sphagnum-bog Galerina (galerina tibicystis) [cortinariaceae, Agaricales]
. While they were well past their prime, they match the description in colour, size, spore-print (all that rusty stuff on the cobwebs and generally all over), and location (the middle of a lush patch of sphagnum).
However, such mushrooms are incredibly difficult to positively identify. Mycologists (those who study fungi) have a name for them. LBM's. If that brings to mind some obscure but deadly military application you're on the right track. LBM is short for Little Brown Mushroom. There are lots of them. Some of the deadliest mushrooms are LBM's; also a few of the hallucinogens (so called magic mushrooms) fall into this category. There are even a few edible LBMs. In all honesty, I haven't a clue what it actually is/was excepting that it is definitely an LBM. That said, I've enjoyed it's aesthetic possibilities thoroughly, but I won't be tasting such things anytime soon (okay, never, I hope). I'll take the expert advice and leave the LBMs in the ground. It's fun to guess on paper, but better left off the plate.

Image: Coloured Pencil on 10" x 7" Strathmore Bristol. This one was dense and a bit of a struggle. Okay, a lot of a struggle. Last Friday, I was ready to give up on it, then I went for a walk and thought, more Blue! Electric Blue (that's a specific Prismacolor pencil). It's brilliant but extremely translucent and it's great for burnishing darks. I had to go into the background with tape to lighten the mess I'd made, which destroys the tooth of the paper, but I determined to finish it. Flawed or not, I'm glad I pursued this thing in the end. Someday, I may even gain control of my obsessively squiggly lines.

Tip of the Day: You don't learn a thing by giving up.

8 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I can't stand even the smell of mushroom so would starve if it was all there was to eat :p But the lines wouldn't really be squiggly if you managed to control them ;)

kaslkaos said...

Ah, I see you had a sneak preview over at wetcanvas! Thanks for the support over there.
My husband's with you on the smell; he runs out of the kitchen if I cook them. Lucky for him, it's not often I find one I'm willing to eat.
And as for those lines, maybe I should be reaching for 'uncontrolled' vs 'out-of-control'. There's a difference, I think.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I don't like mushrooms either... But the drawing is gorgeous. I love how textured it looks...

kaslkaos said...

Thanks for dropping by Michelle, glad you like it. I'm not always interested in eating them anyway. I do love them the way other people loves flowers (although sniffing them doesn't quite have the same allure--okay, a few do smell nice, some smell like anise)

ceevee said...

Gorgeous work here!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Ceevee for visiting my blog & compliments!

Dougie said...

I don't know... I LOVE mushrooms! The smell... the taste, etc. This is a really nice drawing. I like how the light colors of the stem work up to the dark colors of the tops. The blue works well as a nice complementary color to the orange of the mushrooms. Also, the design is pretty cool.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks for visiting Dougie & fellow mushroom lover. Fungi do make the forest smell nice. And I like your blog too. I'm popping over for another peak right now.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin