Friday, December 5, 2008

Thin Ice; Part II





The firefighters were kind enough to send me some photos that better illustrate the procedure. As these were taken from the ice, I couldn't have gotten such photos even if I had my camera at the time. If you didn't understand my description of the procedure, these pics should help. On the last picture, you'll see the 'rescuers' in position to haul backwards and pull the 'victim' into the boat.

Many thanks to Whitchurch Stouffville Fire Department for the pictures, and for all their service to the community.

And, a chance to answer Doug's request for a mini-tutorial of the salty wash, specifically the 'thin ice' picture.

An Informal Tutorial for Thin Ice for Dougie:
I used Strathmore 300 Series Bristol, soaked, stretched and dried. I made up a wash of paynes grey ready, then rewet the paper lightly with a damp sponge. I used a large fan brush and worked the paint in very fast. I always feel like I'm racing time and usually losing when I do a wash. As soon as the paint hit the paper, I lost interest in the plan (it was supposed to be a patterned background for a print-making project) and just watched the way the paint spread. I added a light wash of cadmium red, and then started flicking it in with a toothbrush. It still didn't look much like ice, so I mixed a very dark paynes grey and put this in with a lovely brand-new #8 squirrel hair brush. Never take your spouse shopping on the day you buy such things, as he nearly lost his eyeballs on the shop floor. It was worth every one of the 4000 pennies I paid for it. This brush, when wet turns to a hair point yet holds plenty of pigment, so I'm not sure how much credit should be given to it. It certainly dropped paint into the wet paper beautifully. I just thought 'rotten ice' and kept going. Sprinkle on LOTS of salt, and I also strategically place epsom salt crystal down in some spots. Then walk away, cross your fingers and hope it doesn't turn to fog.

2 comments:

W. J. St. Christopher said...

@Great blog -- nice and chatty. Good to know I'm not the only long-winded artist in the world!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I checked yours and you have some wonderful images there. I'll be visiting again.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin