Thursday, January 1, 2009

Magic Pen


Sorry, no New Years sentiments excepting I'm hoping you all have great ones. Time marches on regardless of the labels we impose upon it.
Just another bed-sketch, this time with my magic pen. I've had my eyeballs on a Pentel Pocket Brush for quite awhile. At $18 that's quite pricey, but I used Christmas money as an excuse to indulge myself and made the purchase. It is a pen with a brush instead of a nib. Inside, it has an exchangeable ink-cartridge just like many fountain pens do, but the nib is a synthetic brush. While I had my doubts as to how well this would work out, after a few days use, I'm thrilled. It's been holding a point, it hasn't dried out between uses and hasn't exploded into a mess of black ink. I'm still not sure if I should be storing it in my purse, but it does make an ideal compact travelling sketch pen and effectively replaces the need to take along a brush, a bottle of water, a cloth, and an ink bottle, not to mention the table requirements necessary to use such equipment. In other words, I can now do brush inked sketches anywhere and anytime--even in bed.
Given that this is basically a product review, let me add one caveat--at $18.00 I expect to last a long time, and a few days is insufficient time to test this. Will it still make a hair point a month from now? Or a year from now? Time alone will tell.
Happy New Years All!
PS. Click on the image if you are curious enough to want to read the text. All black marks are compliments of the magic pen, grey marks are graphite, parchment is digital. Office paper.

4 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Happy New Year!
I love new art tools... Looking forward to seeing how it lasts!

Chrissy said...

Hmm, I have a purple one of those because it was purple I didn't pay too much for it £5. I got it for another project and then used something else. You have inspired me to play, at least when it runs I can get another cartridge...like black!

Jennifer Rose said...

I've wanted one of these for awhile now, will be interesting to see how long it keeps a point :)

kaslkaos said...

You share my skepticism regarding the point. So far so good. Should it fail, I promise to say so. Chrissy, if you've got the same one, you've just got to use it. Just change the cartridge now, or learn to love purple. Purple is good.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin