Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Make Your Own Doodle Diary--How to






Finally, the long promised, although not likely much anticipated, "how to make your own doodle diary" post. This is a little something I picked up along the way and I enjoyed it's ease and simplicity. I use them obsessively. I keep two in my purse, 1 for phone numbers & dates, and one for notes. I have a completed doodle diary I began January 3, and I've already used 2 doodles as references for other artwork. I've begun my second diary, of course.
Here goes. I hope I can make it make sense. I'm somewhat technologically challenged and make do with primitive equipment and connections, not to mention blogger tends to scramble the image order in weird ways.
You will need 1 sheet of paper for the book, 1 piece of heavier paper for the cover. You don't even need scissors if you're good at creasing and tearing.
Step 1. Fold a sheet of paper in half, then fold down the ends back to the crease. Should look 'w' shaped when viewed from the side.
Step 2. Open up your folds and do it again the other way.
Step 3. If you did it right, you'll have 16 rectangles defined by folds. At this points, words alone just won't do. Look at the diagram (click to enlarge-sorry, some of my writing is fuzzy, so just ask if something doesn't make sense)
Step 4. The diagram should get you to the 16 rectangles; then just cut or tear as shown. Then, beginning at the 1st corner, just start folding back and forth like an accordion until you have a little book in your hands.
Step 5. Make a book cover and slip your 1st and last page in (see the next diagram if you're not familiar with making a book cover). No need to measure anything, just place your book in the middle and cut so you have plenty of overlap.
Still confused? Just ask. I know I've mucked it up somewhere, but maybe the photos will tell the story. Shown is my Jan3 diary, all flattened out, and made into a book.

PS. Clicking on the images will enlarge & make them readable. You'll be able to see all my doodles that way too.

7 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

the instructions were clear enough to follow :) I'd have to use bigger paper though, I think I would have a hard time drawing this small lol would be a bunch of scribbles

Michelle (artscapes) said...

That is seriously cool. I am boring and use a Moleskine!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer & Michelle. The small size is a way to keep me from taking too much time, putting in too much detail or taking things too seriously. I wanted to learn how to distill my day into a very quick small space. I would be way too anal to scribble in a beautiful moleskin. There is some fine freedom to be had using something so small & easy to make, but unlike using scrap paper (which I also do) I have a cute little book to show off.

Cat-in-a-Box said...

What a neat idea! I have to try this - However I'm horribly addicted to notebooks so I am rarely without a storebought book (or 5). I know what you mean though - there's always a bit of an expectation (I have to put something momentous on these hallowed pages) which is why I like buying cheap and recycled sketchbooks.

With blogger (at least for me) it seems to put all new pictures in the top. I get around that by cutting and pasting in the HTML window OR by getting my layout somewhere else (like Word or Gmail) then inserting all the pictures (starting with the last one) and then cutting and pasting the text between them. :D

The Empty Envelope said...

This is great info!!!!

Chrissy said...

Lovely to see your artistic notes :-) I didn't realise until viewing this that I never actually do any sketches...I think it is becuase I work from photography perhaps

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Chrissy. And having the doodle diary (so cheap, small and replaceable) has really freed me up. You need to be willing to make an ugly, that's all.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin