Thursday, January 29, 2009

Morning Becomes Electric in Oil Pastel



The subject matter fascinated me, and I decided to try it in pastel on black paper. Perhaps it's the learning curve with a new medium, but I'm not entirely sure I like oil pastel. I really detest my light green, which was too close to hospital green, and I struggled to mix it in with yellow and white to bump it up. My colour range is much more limited in oils but I expected to mix any colour I wanted. It wasn't so, as my colours just seem slightly off from what they should be. I have some really good colours in pencil that mix just like my watercolour palette so I was surprised when the oils didn't behave the same way. They seemed dull and slightly chalky, and more than two layers got muddy. Also, I think the size I worked in (11"x14") along with the details would have been better in pencils. While I still prefer the freshness of my coloured pencil work better, I do like the painterly effect happening in the trees.
It's a learning experience.
PS. For those that know about these things, the brands of pastel are Holbein & Mungyo.

5 comments:

Chrissy said...

I have always wanted to play with some oil pastels...but I mess with so many things. I think I will avoid that one. I love the sky, the colours look beautiful and nicely blended....to look at it you wouldn't think that you had experienced any diffculty at all...

Jennifer Rose said...

I can't stand oil pastels so can't help you :/ I just can't stand how I can't really get any kind of detail with them

I really like the sky colours, nice and bright and really remind me of an early morning sunrise :D

kaslkaos said...

I'm with you Jennifer: I really am. I just did another one that I will post soon, but still didn't like the medium, and on to a new cp that I like much more. I think I'll put pastel aside until/unless I want to do something huge.
Thanks Chrissy for complements. I like the sky too, just hated the process.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I never got along with pastels, oil or soft... But I love the piece you did - you are great with colour...

kaslkaos said...

Thanks michelle. And yeah, me and oil pastel are not getting along so well either. Soft pastels have yummy colours but I hate the dust, the mess, and the need for fixatives. Back to pencil crayons, really.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin