Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Purple Hour


Walk with me through the purple woods, in the winter when the hidden sun slings low and sleepy through the sky and slinks away unseen behind a lilac sky. The snow lies thick with the full weight of mid-winter, springs promises frozen in sapless buds, shadows of violet pooling in hollows, creeping along roots to claw the sky. For a few moments the world is candy coloured before darkness falls.

Image: 9" x 12" grey-blue Canson pastel paper, oil pastel, conte, coloured pencil, and graphic--Mixed Media for short. Now I'm pretty sure I don't like oil pastel at least for this type of work. And I didn't like the honey-comb texture of the paper either. It looks great in the light areas but was hugely distracting in the dark areas. I had to spend time mashing the colour into the dimples to tone down the effect--this was not my idea of fun. Hard to get the line work I'm so fond of into the piece, managed it in the end but I felt like I was fighting the medium the entire time. That said, I kinda like it. I've been trying for quite awhile to capture the evening woods when the light is too low for snapshots and hints of colour appear that are not quite just imagination. This is Hollidge Tract, south side looking east, no reference photo, just memories.

9 comments:

The Empty Envelope said...

This is *beautiful*. It even feels cold!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks for coming again. I so much love visitors. Have a hot chocolate to warm up (or tea or coffee!).

krummholz said...

Lovely! The green in the tracks is just wonderful. I don't know if it's "real," but it's just what's needed in this picture.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Krummholz. Nice to see you back too. I'm never sure how much colour is a trick of the eye and how much comes through the clouds. In this case, though, I'm being rather fanciful. The lilac sky colours though, I believe do happen.

Jennifer Rose said...

very moody piece :D I really like it

if its the mi-tientes paper this looks like the rougher side, try flipping the paper over? its not as toothy and might help (i tried using the rough side with CPs and it was a complete wreck.same problems you had with the pastels)

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I cannot see the issues with the paper here - this one is just magical!

Chrissy said...

Love it, love it! The whole feel is JUST like cold winter woods. You do these so well, it is lovely work

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle (but you didn't see me mashing & squishing, not to mention staring out the window and making faces at the page). Yeah, I like it now.
Thank you Chrissy, and thank you for including me yet again on your wonderful blog. You are too kind.

Ceridwen said...

This is a wonderful picture. I feel like I'm there.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin