Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Sine Curve of the Ski Hill


If you haven't noticed already, I love skiing, x-country skiing. That means gliding through the country side under my own power, no lifts, no tows, no fees, and no line-ups.
You may think x-country is for those of us that like life in the slow lane, and maybe I'm one of them but for me the highlights are always the hills. The big ones, the ones that when conditions are right you can pick up some real speed and feel the wind rip through your hair. The ones that are smooth and hard and packed enough to make your skis rattle with the sound of an Olympic bobsled run, and the curvaceous ones that challenge you to weave between the trees and catch a wee bit of air on the last bump. I love these hills. They give me moments of perfection, mind and body in sync performing with precision (trust me, any lack of precision ends in a face plant); a good fast run is a feat that is formed from the accumulation of years of experience. And of course, one can never forget, you've got to climb them first (yes, I think there is a lesson in that).

For last years take on the exact same subject try Whoo Hoo!!!

Image: Aargh, I lost (hopefully just misplaced) the aceo I made, eek! So here's my doodle diary; the roughie will have to do.

7 comments:

LoveCreations24 said...

I would love to try cross country skiing - or skiing at all! Hubby likes snowboarding - so I've been doing that for 8 years - but am AWFUL - I told him it's my turn - we need to try skiing - apparently it's easier and I am NOT coordinated in the least! Cross Country seems more my pace!

Chrissy said...

Wonderful account, I have never done any cross country only down hill...but it was an amazing experience. I love the spider sketch too ;-D

krummholz said...

I love XC skiing, too. Amazing challenge to make a turn on those skinny skis with no metal edges! Part of the reason I like it is that I don't mind the climbing part. I like the shift of weight and the swivel at the waist when herringboning. As a long-time hiker, I seem to be geared toward going uphill--something elemental for me, for some mysterious reason.

Jennifer Rose said...

I love going down the really tall hill where dad lives. Its horrible to get up, have to push the bike half way, but its great to fly down :D you get up so much speed the wind howls past your head. And no traffic until you get right to the end which you can avoid if you stay on the side. I would think people would ski down it. I know people ski up in the forest in the winter and the trails are great for biking. I don't think I will ever ski though or snowboard, I fall too much :p Looks like fun though :)

kaslkaos said...

x-country skiing's fun. Just like walking, sort-of. At least shuffling will get you somewhere. Down is fun, up is good for you, that's where you get all that aerobic stuff, but me, I still prefer the flying down wind in your hair stuff.
Chrissy, the little spider was on the bedroom wall that night, and I got husband to rescue it: I'm not sure if being thrown outdoors in freezing weather is really a rescue, but at least it would be it's natural environment.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I have not gone skiing in years! I have to admit that I couldn't get past the spider...

kaslkaos said...

Yes, but you snow shoe, right? I guess if there's enough snow you can bum-slide down a good hill. I did that on the Algonquin Look-out Trail one winter. Now that was fun!
I couldn't get past the spider either, that's why I had husband do removals and why it ended up in my diary.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin