Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Glass Girl--Life Drawing at Latcham


Next Tuesday, it will be a nude, but I've begun my Life Drawing session at the Stouffville Latcham Gallery. Yay! This was fun. It was so refreshing to show up with my paper and pencils, all my size and choices. Any medium, any style, any size, no instructor. It felt good.
Everyone had their classy sketchbooks spread before them. I began with a clipboard and used office paper. This was the perfect surface for the rapid 2 minute poses we began with. The model was great; she struck an amazing series of great poses without hesitation. I suspect she has dance training. After the 2 minute poses, she did a pose (the colour one shown) for the next hour. I pulled out my box of pencil crayons and started rummaging around for the right set of colours. They made an amazingly loud clattering sound in the otherwise quiet room full of scribblers. Worse yet was having them roll off the table and onto a neighbours foot. Determined to embarrass me, my coloured pencils kept doing this, naughty things.
Had fun when the gentleman beside me asked me favourite medium, and I said, "these" and held up a pencil crayon. He said, "pastel?", and I said, "pencil crayon", which is pretty darn close to saying "I enjoy dead rats for dinner" (and yes, sometimes I deliberately call them 'pencil crayon' as opposed to the more mature sounding 'coloured pencil' just for fun).
Later, I did a pencil sketch on office paper, and then gave my magic pen (pentel pocket brush) a workout.
I used to hate life drawing in art college because a)I sucked, b)I had no knowledge of basic proportion (you were supposed to work it out on your own), c)we had to use 18x24 paper. Now, finally, it's getting fun. Someday I'll do an 18x24 too, but there's only 5 sessions to go, so it won't be this year.

7 comments:

Chrissy said...

You are very funny :-D Class sketches, I love them, beautiful capture of th moment. She does indeed look like a dancer ..I look forward to some more!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love the 'glass' idea - the fragility.
I call them pencil crayons too. Crayons are always much more fun! :)

Jennifer Rose said...

the drawings are really nice :) great colour to the top one.
I use to call them pencil crayons, not sure why I stopped. People do tend to think its a kids medium with the crayone part so that might have something to do with it. well dead rat could be good I guess if you really had nothing else to eat and lots of spices :p

kaslkaos said...

& squirrel roadkill could be considered gently aged and tenderized. How did I get on this topic???

Hyla said...

Those are awesome!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks for visiting Hyla! & getting me off the topic of dead rodents...

Jennifer Rose said...

yeah sorry :/ my fault

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin