Saturday, February 28, 2009

Life Drawing at Latcham Gallery




This weeks Life Drawing subject illustrates two things; the difference between great models, and just a model being one of them. I don't want to be too critical, but this weeks model did the same pose 3 times, and not by request. It was, at the time, a little dissappointing, but this way you can clearly see the difference between one minute, ten minutes, and 40 minute drawings. The last is pencil crayon on cream Mi-Tientes paper.
If you look at the one minute pose, you can check out how I begin my life drawings. I don't 'block in' or 'draw negative spaces'--the two dead-end methods I doggedly pursued in my art college years. Instead, I begin with a line representing the curve of the spine. This makes it easier to sense where on the page the model belongs, then next, not in any particular order, I place a line representing the two shoulders and the angle they are at, the same for the hips (imagining the ball socket of each hip) and brief lines for arm bones and leg bones. Sometimes I add dots for elbows, knees and shoulder to clarify things in my head. By the time all this is in (15 to 60 seconds) I have a 'gesture' that actually has some human expression to it. The head, also often a neck line & front centre comes next and after that it's all finger crossing and hoping for the best because if this initial phase is in error, no amount of detail, shading or outline will fix it (but maybe a big fat eraser would).

& More Doodle Diary

Third panel, yep, we went to the zoo for the afternoon. We have a years membership and it's the best $165 ever spend. Even for frugal people this is money well spent as divided over the year, it makes for many cheap dates. It is the Metropolitan Toronto Zoo which is a vast tract of partly forested land and landscaped rolling hills. You can walk for hours or soak up warmth & humidity and greeness in the pavillions. We go there in winter for a green fix. Other panels open to your interpretation.

7 comments:

The Empty Envelope said...

Wow, I have such extreme admiration for people who can draw!! It's very interesting to me to read about how you go about doing it.

Cute zoo photos! And yes, memberships are worth it! :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks! Hint: it took me a long time to get where I am now & much frustration. I used to think it was talent, so I didn't practice & I was terrible. Now I know it's mostly skill, so I practice & get better. It's never too late to start practicing!
Glad you're enjoying reading!

Jennifer Rose said...

could you not ask the model to make a different pose? using lines is how I start my drawings, makes more sense to me to do it like that to. I'm screwed if I get into Uni I guess if I have to draw a different way :p

I love the Toronto Zoo :D Always so much to see and it is a great place to walk around. I really want to take hubby there next time we are in Ontario. I've told him how big the zoo is, but its something I think someone has to see to actually understand how big it is.

Last time I went, the car we were driving broke down in the parking lot going into the park :/ Kind of embarrassing having to get the zoo staff to jump start the car and having tourists in buses take our picture. funny now that I look back on it, but at the time I wanted to hide in the trunk :p

kaslkaos said...

Jen, if you ever are going to the zoo, let me know! I'll probably still have a membership.
And yes, had anyone noticed, they could have asked for a different pose. I was really tired--that's my excuse.
I think the line thing is pretty standard if technique is taught. Don't worry, hoping you'll get in, because you'll do great at the uni (it must be exciting to be getting all prepared).

The Empty Envelope said...

That is good to know! I tend to be a very intuitive, messy artist. I've thought about taking some drawing classes. I like to hear that other people get frustrated too. Not that I'm glad *you're* frustrated, though!

Jennifer Rose said...

maybe next year we might go back and visit (or if the government gets much worse go back to Canada for good :p)

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Your life drawing is excellent. I always struggled with proportion...

I haven't been to the zoo since I was a child. May have to go the next time I spend some time in the city...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin