Friday, February 13, 2009

The Silver Hour


The dark time of the year is passing; why do I miss it so?
I love to follow the rapidly changing light of dusk in winter, but I no longer need to pack lights for my evening outing. I truly enjoyed starting out in daylight at 5 pm and returning under starlight at 6. Even on overcast days, hints of sunset can be found in the subtle changes of the colours of the snow and in the depths of the shadows that shrink and grow beneath the trees.
This is the silver hour; about 45 minutes before darkness on a late January afternoon. Overcast, the sky reflects and refracts the light down through the trees and onto the snow. The snow catches and scatters it upwards through the branches, banishing shadows. Hidden behind a silver slate, the sun sinks unseen.

PS. To keep track of my off-leash dog on winter evenings I attach flashing L.E.D.s to her collar. She looks like a reindeer blinking through the woods but at least I know where she is, and can guess what she's up to. I can now leave them behind.

Image: 9" x 12" black canson paper, coloured pencil. This one didn't scan well. In real life, the white and light pencil crayons show up brighter, but the colour is translucent, so the scanning process picks up too much black. Click to enlarge and you'll see more detail.

5 comments:

rosalie said...

in germany they call this time 'the blue hour'- interesting ;)

it's one of the times of a day i like most- it provokes such a unique mood and feeling inside of mine, something pure i think.

at least: nice picture, as always ;)

Jennifer Rose said...

"She looks like a reindeer blinking through the woods "

lol that is a good idea :D and if the batteries in my flash light died it would be ok, i could still see :p

Chrissy said...

Lovely work and beautifully captured light. I love it for photo's too but won't be sorry to get lighter nights back...I get so tired going to work in the dark and then coming home in the dark...

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Very nicely captured.... For me it is the blue hour. One of my favourite things about this time of year is the light's chase of the darkness of winter...

kaslkaos said...

Sorry, being away for the weekend means major trouble catching up with blogs. As for the blue hour, yup, technically that is the word, but it is only blue at the end. I've observed on overcast days, it begins with the silvery light, then shifts to pink, lavender, purple and just before it is completely dark, blue. On overcast days, these colours are very subtle but there. I'm not sure if it happens without snow, so I'll have to wait and see.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin