Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Skating Party--All Done Now





The lone skater in the watercolour version is my husband. I didn't know this when I began it, but the fact emerged. He is not the most co-ordinated man on the planet; he is prone to stumbles, and a little awkward in gate. He falls a lot when skiing, but when the skates are on, he becomes a figure of speed and grace. Ice is his element, where he becomes competent and beautiful and his soul and his body turn and turn in perfect harmony. Hoping I caught that in the image; he likes it, so maybe he noticed.

PS. he doesn't read my blog (it's blocked at his workplace))

It is with great relief that I have the final images ready. I'm done. No more skating pics. I was a little obsessive about the whole thing, and also trying out the same theme in two media. Now that is instructive. Redo's are also instructive. In the past, I'll fight it out with one image, and, regardless of regrets, go on to the next. Not to say I have no regrets, but I am now definitely ready to move on.

The 1st image is watercolour on 140lb paper, 9"x12" finished image.

The 2nd image is coloured pencil on 9"x12" 'burnt-orange' Canson Mi-Teintes paper.

I find the coloured pencil more expressive, as I get to 'play with the lines', and while I find the slowness of coloured pencil can be tedious (especially when I'm concerned with technical bits) I love when I get to the linework, that's fun.

11 comments:

Shea said...

I like it. The colors and the emotion and motion are great.

The Empty Envelope said...

These are beautiful. You captured the moment and the mood wonderfully.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Shea and Empty Envelope. I'm so glad you like it.

Jenny said...

I loved the skater when you first shared the image with us, and I still love the skater(s). I enjoyed your description of how you realized somewhere along the way that the skater was your husband. That seems akin to processes of imagination involved in writing fiction. We follow the imagination, we do not lead it.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jenny. I think my art is a lot about story telling. I never could figure out if my ultimate dream was to be an author or an artist. All the same to me. I'm done with skaters for now. Thanks for hanging in there while I worked through all the versions.

Jennifer Rose said...

I just love how the top one seems to glow and shimmer like ice does. They are gorgeous :D

kaslkaos said...

Aw shucks, thank you. So pleased you like it.
I'm up to something new now, which I should be doing instead of blogging. I'm a great procrastinator.

Chrissy said...

I love both of these, they are beautiful and "in tune". Lovely work :-)

kaslkaos said...

Thank so much Chrissy, I so love it when you chime in here.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love the first one - the mood is incredible... well done...!!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle. I have a hate/love relationship with watercolour. So much planning involved (very left brained activity), but then, somewhere near the end, if you're very lucky, something happens.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin