Thursday, March 26, 2009

WIP--Arghhhhhh...digital art


Here's my first foray into digital art. If you've been following my personal twitter you may have seen some cryptic whining about it. Well, I'm still at it.
Originally planned as a four or five page graphic story, I'll be happy with a single good looking page. I can't believe it's taking this long but I'm learning photoshop from scratch, only it's not photoshop. It's something called ArcSoft PhotoStudio which is just dissimilar enough to render books on the subject useless. So, as I rummage about with the buttons and features, I keep learning new things, which render the previous work useless, so it's like starting over and over and over again. If I could think of it as a learning experience it might not feel like such a gigantic waste of time; then again, as frustration sets in, I dither and procrastinate endlessly.
Like writing this blog post, for instance.
So here's where I'm at. Actually, I've already completed the layout once, but I wanted to change a few things, which means starting over. Didn't I already say that?

On a delightful note, one of my etsy customers posted a photo of her wall with one of my aceo's on it. It includes some beauties by other artists too and she's done a wonderful job of framing and display. I must admit I'm really thrilled.

Image: digital art, ink sketches on office paper (pentel pocket brush!) scanned, and a photo of Hollidge Tract, York Regional forest, much altered.

7 comments:

kim* said...

for the first on eit look spretty darn awesome

kaslkaos said...

Thank you kindly, I pulled out my hair for this one. And thank you for visiting my blog!

Jennifer Rose said...

I like what you have here, nice lines. I have a love hate relationship with digital art. Love how it looks, hate how long its takes me compared to just picking up a pencil

kim* said...

they buggies r gone... i havent "seen" any so far its been a week. so the bulk r gone, thank God!!!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer. I guess the jokes on me: I thought digital would be faster than a pencil. Actually, what you said makes me feel a little less stupid about the time it took me to do things. Taking a break from it today.
Good for you Kim*. And everybody, if you want to know what buggies she's talking about, check out her blog. It's high on the ick factor, but not too graphic. Kim, I'm dealing with mice, which are cuter but not gone.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Wow! You must be a natural! It looks fantastic. I must have missed your Twitters. I have been overwhelmed this week finishing the painting I have been working on. Now I have time to catch up. I am amazed at your handling of different media. Your diversity is remarkable!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle. Sometimes I really think I should settle and focus on ONE medium, but I feel like I'm still finding my voice, and digital art is something I wanted to explore since I first heard of it.
Thanks for taking the time here; isn't it always a balance between the art and the 'networking'? I've gotten lazy about twitter myself. I'm begin to think it's boring. You haven't missed anything there.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin