Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Life Drawing at Latcham


I held back on this one, as I didn't want to give the impression that this blog would produce a constant stream of scribbly naked people; not that there is anything wrong with naked people, it's just not what this blog is normally about.
I'm a nature lover, and a youngest child, and as such I'm probably more socialized with animals than people; cats and dogs, chipmunks and birds, being a more constant presence in my life than people. So there are times when the sight of human skin, and I mean such things as face, hands, and arms strike me as strangely naked, and fur would seem so much better. Pale flesh and bare skin can strike me as ugly, as if I were looking at something unfinished or not yet ready to come forth into the sun, and yet in Life Drawing, I have found natural beauty in the human form. If Eve, driven from Eden was compelled to don clothing, then Life Drawing class is Paradise Found where the naked body regains its innocence and grace.

Image: support is bristol painted with acrylic paint and gel medium, drawing is black conte and oil pastel, life drawing

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Hi Ingrid, nice work...
I am always fascinated by faces and usually my forays into the human world will be someone that strikes me as an amazing character. I am not sure that I would enjoy "life" class as it is often younger models, in fact I would often find more beauty in an older person...

Jennifer Rose said...

another great life drawing :) bare skin is one of the reasons that people get body modifications, something seems missing

"If Eve, driven from Eden was compelled to don clothing, then Life Drawing class is Paradise Found where the naked body regains its innocence and grace."

so very true :)

kaslkaos said...

Sorry for my slow reply:
Thanks Chrissy. You made me wonder about the younger models thing. As I suffer from stiff muscles more and more I wonder if it's simply too painful for most older people. I don't think I could hold a 20 minute pose. Older people would be interesting. Sounds like you might be doing portraits. I'll bet you could find old people willing to sit, as long as they're not too vane (so you don't offend them with the wrinkles).
Thank you Jennifer, (and hoping you're okay). I have a tatoo, maybe the same reason, but life drawing is teaching me a new appreciation. Funny, when I was in art college I hated drawing all those 'ugly' nudes. I've changed.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin