Friday, April 17, 2009

What Am I Doing Here?


My bloggerversary has come and gone, sometime in January, but I am very much aware I've come full circle, and it's a problem. There are times when I struggle, what new thing do I have to say? Last year, everything rested on the changing seasons of nature; I was also newly exploring the medium of coloured pencil which made capturing the moment very exciting. It still is, but I'm finding blogging about it more difficult. I work on images that are not finished in time for a blog post. Remember my lovely escapade in the sink hole? The day it happened, no image came to mind. One sleepy morning, I flashed on a finished piece; it is only now at the stage of being lightly pencilled onto 'good' paper. The two ACEO's above are part of the work I did getting to that place, searching for themes, experimenting with different types of paper (yupo, which I didn't like), and inktense pencils, trying out the colours; and here I am, writing a blog post as a clear act of procrastination, afraid to proceed.
I've had this conversation before, with myself, and with my coffee-shop friend. I asked her, 'what is my blog about? I can't always write about the forest?'. She told me my blog was about my life as an artist, and that includes my art, how it's done, and what inspires. Seemed like a good answer at the time.
I've been reading other blogs (too few, but as long as I'm on dial-up, it will have to remain that way) and I find that I truly enjoy reading the small details of your life. Not always; if you have an art blog, I expect art. If you have a nature blog, I expect nature, but life's diversions make you interesting. Your humanity is interesting, but I always ask myself, is mine?
That said, I'll continue along, writing posts about what compells me. I'll be adding a few 'how to's' while I go along, but this never has been a 'how to' blog, and won't be. There's plenty of good books out there. I'll continue posting my own artwork, as this is a challenge that spurs me on even when the muse abandons me--I hope you don't mind the rough sketches, and irrelevancies; knowing I can post a piece to the blog prods me into finishing. And hopefully, now again, I'll have a good story to tell (but I don't intend to get stuck in a bog again anytime soon).

11 comments:

rosalie said...

that's very interesting to read as i also often wonder what i am doing, what i am writing/posting about on my blog. it's not only a blog about movies, it's not only a blog about art or my way of seeing the things- but then i come to the point that a 'magic carpet' is able to fly in every direction, and so am i ;)

rosalie said...

ps.: i always like personal things on blogs, especially thoughts and thought-provoking stuff. through them there shimmers the beings 'behind' the blog- i like that.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Rosalie, I always love your posts about your life ,thoughts and feeling. You have interesting things to say.

Jenny said...

Could there be such a thing as a blog bog?(!) I know that as a blogger myself I'm somewhat afraid of getting stuck in a rut, but I also have faith that if I go in the odd directions that my instinct tells me, it will turn out okay somehow. I will say that I always enjoy your posts and your images, and they don't have to come in any particular order or have any obvious "rationale" behind them.

Jennifer Rose said...

happy bloggerversary :D

I enjoy all the aspects of your blog. the art is lovely, your stories are always entertaining and informative :D I love seeing the rough sketches :D

yes please don't get stuck in a bog again, but if you do take pictures! ;p

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jenny, sorry I was a little pathetic today--weird day. Very good to hear you like it. And, I've been learning from blogs like yours about what sparkles. I think I prefer being stuck in smelly black bog to the blog bog. This one gets personal.
Jennifer; you almost make me want to get stuck again just to get pictures. Of course, it wouldn't be funny at all if I did it on purpose. Get well...and I love seeing your roughs too. Are we the only ones posting the roughs?

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I love your blog - with or without images - I love your images too, I have one! But, I love the way you write. It reminds me to always look at the world with a creative eye, ear and anything else I can sense with. You have a poetic writing style and I love it most when you just talk about your experiences using that aspect of your 'voice'.

I don't post my roughs, but I do works in progress... But then you could call all of my small paintings, roughs... Hmmmm....

Jennifer Rose said...

I have seen roughs on other blogs (I will see if I can find the blogs). I think people have a hard time posting roughs as they are often not much to look at and are maybe embarrassed. I use to be, but I figure it lets people see how I work start to finish. I wish more people did post their roughs as I do love seeing how other people develop their ideas.

kaslkaos said...

Michelle, thanks. Lots to live up too. Your small paintings hardly look rough.
I'm not sure how others work, but since I often have no photo reference, I need those roughs, and practices to work things out. I used to do without, and run into terrible compositional trouble. Also, doodles often say more, sometimes too much, about what is going on on the inside. Hmmm...I haven't been doodling lately.

Cat-in-a-Box said...

I know I'm late commenting on this one (catching up on my blog feeds) but I wanted to say that I love reading your blog - no matter what it's about. Even if I might first pass over it - if I come back and read it I am *always* glad I did (which just means that I never pass over your blog anymore!). Aside from the art (which I obviously love) you have a way of picking wonderful candid moments and a really engaging writing style - don't worry about your blog personality, just keep posting!!!

kaslkaos said...

Hey thanks! I'm glad to see you found some time for blogging inspite of your changing schedule. And of course I'm honoured that you would read my blog. Time is not of the essence, the posts remain. I'm always reading blog posts late, and later..

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin