Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yellow Trillium and other Small Wonders


It's trillium time here in southern Ontario (my friend up in Magnetawan, a little to the north, informs me they are not yet blooming) and the show is on. Trilliums paint the forest floor in drifts of green and white and sometimes purple. In this rare instance, delicate lemon yellow. There is only one that I've seen. I await it's arrival yearly since I first set eyes on it. Being close to the trail, I'm afraid it will be a victim of digging or plucking by the ignorant or the greedy. It's exact location is my secret. Last year, it produced two blooms, and I was hoping for more, but at least it is back and beautiful as ever.



Here is the common red variety, sometimes called purple, and even other less complimentary things (stinking benjamin) because they really do smell awful if you get your nose too close. The burgundy purple colour is a lure for flies looking for carrion to land on (mmmm...). No photo can do the colour justice, as up close (not too close, remember the stink) they have a velvety shimmer that is quite mesmerizing. Scientific name for both the lemon coloured above and the reds here is trillium erectum. There is indeed a yellow trillium species trillium luteum but it is not found naturally in this region and is not the one I photographed.


Here is another favourite, almost too small to photograph with my equipment (this was a fluke). Squirrel corn or dicentra canadensis. Last year I did a pencil crayon and blog post on it.

Black raspberry: even in winter, their stems absolutely glow with electric blue over purple. Now they're on fire, and sometime in July, I'll eat them, yum. Which reminds me, in my last post about experiencing the forest, I believe I missed mentioning a sensation, and that is taste. Berries and mushrooms let me taste the forest and bring it inside me which is just a truly weird thought.

And here's a close-up of my almost finished coloured pencil piece that I've been working on. Well, today, I took a break, and started some studies, sketches and thoughts on what the next big project will be; such an investment in time is a big decision. I've set this one aside for a brief cooling off period. It may even be finished; I'm not sure, and I'm definitely not ready to blog about it yet. So enjoy the wildflowers.

6 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

The flowers are amazing. I was driving down a road I would love to live on today and the forest floor was a carpet of white. But the black flies have begun - not biting yet - but they will be by the weekend!

The close up here of your drawing shows such an interconnectedness, like muscle or weaving. You are inspiring me to step away from the landscape as I think I see it and try it as I imagine it!

The Empty Envelope said...

Gorgeous artwork!! I am loving seeing new growth right now. The trilliums are lovely.

Jennifer Rose said...

I've never seen a purple trillium before, very pretty. I do miss seeing them this time of year :) thanks for the pics :D

kaslkaos said...

Michelle, that's why I love deet. No bugs here yet. Love those trilliums. Thanks for comment on the close-up. Makes me feel like I've managed to communicate something beyond just a picture. Everyone sees the world a little different. I love your landscapes!
Thank you E.E.: enjoy the trilliums. None of it lasts very long.
Jennifer, if no trilliums, there must be some wildflowers over there that I haven't seen. The purples are wonderful. Hope you see them for real someday.

Ritwik Banerjee said...

The almost-finshed color pencil piece: amazing! I love the sense of a fiery flow that you have managed to create. If possible, you should do this one in oil. I am sure that would turn out to be a masterpiece!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Ritwik very much. Me, I don't like oils, so this will be the finished piece. Actually, it is finished, but I'm waiting for good weather to photograph it (I need natural soft light).

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin