Thursday, July 23, 2009

When You Smile

090714nude3

When you smile the whole world smiles with you. I’m not sure where that meme or cliché came from (a coke commercial?) but it happens to be true.

Most of the time, during life drawing, the model adopts a suitably stoic pose, gazing into the middle distance as if communing with the muse. Last nights model was no different, but she does like to chat. And so, as the conversation ambled along, it suddenly broke into laughter. While her pose remained rock solid, everything about her changed. Her expression, brief and brilliant with mirth, dictated the tone; line and colour followed. As I drew her face, attempting to catch the fleeting expressions that flashed there, I realized my own lips had curled up into a grin.

So smile, and pass it around.

Image: coloured pencil on 8.5x11 office paper. The scan didn’t reveal the colours very well, so you’ll need to imagine the combination of lime green, fuschia and orange orange (sounds yummy, doesn’t it? Wish it would all show up on screen)

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I think you did a good job capturing that brief flash of a smile :) I'd much rather have a model that talks then one that stares off into space. I think it would make the time fly faster :)

kaslkaos said...

She engages everyone in the conversation, so I got to know everyone that night, as she got everyone talking about themselves, their kids and aspirations.
The smile would have come out better, but I caught myself grinning and clamped it down, and somehow lost a bit of it on paper too. Weird how one mirrors the expression you are trying to draw.

Jennifer Rose said...

well it does make sense tho. subconsciously (hmm can't believe I spelt that right lol)it would come through on your drawing or in your own face

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin