Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rhapsody in Blue – life drawing

0908121rhapsody_in_blue 

Somewhere, scribbled onto paper, the original text of this post lies.  But, in the way paper, it seems to have been misplaced.

So here we go again.  Another life drawing.  Coloured pencil on black Canson paper.  An odd pose; for me a challenge.  In hindsight, I should have been smart and turned the paper upside down before getting too far in to it (the legs may have made more sense).  I found the legs going up the wall quite puzzling but an intriguing pose, nonetheless.

Hah!  There it is.  Found it!  My scrap of paper.  Here goes…

Sometimes it’s hard to ignore the music.  Working at home, I tune into talk radio stations (usually CBC) but local stations too.  Some of it is newsworthy, some entertaining, and some hopelessly banal, but the babbling chatter is comforting in an empty house.  I also find that human voices are more easily tuned out than music, and is yet still mildly diverting when distraction is necessary.

During Life Drawing, which is a group session, I am given no such choice.  Classical is played by consensus (I keep silent on the matter) and I’m uncultured enough that I associate most of the playlist with the Saturday Morning cartoons of my childhood (Bugs Bunny & Roadrunner, a fact which nicely dates me as well).  While this exposure is teaching me an appreciation for the finer things, any music at all, for me, is intrusive.  It changes things; it gets into my brain and affects my mood and spills out through the conduit of my hand onto the page. 

Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue filled the air while I drew this.  I was more than halfway finished before I realized that my hands were keeping furious pace with the music. Knowing nothing of classical music, I had no idea of it’s title or composer, and yet, look at those colours!  I chose them, as I always do, on a whim, because they ‘felt right’ and so absolutely right they were.  Sometimes the intrusion is not such a bad thing if the music is right.

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

it can be amazing how much music can influence a person, even subconsciously. well done with the drawing :)

Chrissy said...

I had never really considered influences in this way. Some time, I really ought to sit down and work out influnces in my work, I never consider them but in truth there are lots.
I love the colour you use in your work, there are often some different hues which really do add magic.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer. It doesn't always get this obvious but makes for some curious questions.
Thanks Chrissy, and yes, the influences are all around, and it is what makes every artist unique.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin