Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Practice, Practice, Practice-with Andrew Loomis

090904labrador_retriever

This is the first year I’ll be taking ‘homework’ along for my holidays.  Of course I always travel with at least paper & pen, plus my trust M500 Palm (monochrome screen!) & keyboard for writing, but this year I’m taking things up a notch.

I’ve only recently discovered the art instruction books by Andrew Loomis, currently easily available on the internet. Back in the days when I went to art college, teaching technique was out of favour.  It was sincerely believed that the best arts education was one that encouraged experimentation and self discovery. Many thrived under this sort of tutelage; I was not one of them.  While I spent many hours drawing from life, my lack of a fundamental understanding of the human body was a constant barrier to progress.

Fast forward to today.  My instant thought upon seeing the Andrew Loomis book, Figure Drawing for All Its Worth was “Where were you when I needed you?” but it is never too late for improvements. While there are quite a number of topic specific books I’ve decided to begin with this one, as,  being human myself, figure drawing seems to be good place to start.  While I love to draw and paint expressively and far from the realm of the photo realists, there is nothing more distracting to the viewer than ungainly distortions due to poor technique.  Since I view art as primarily a vehicle for expression, technical improvements are a must.

And so I begin the exercises.  Loomis’ book strongly encourages memorization of some fundamental principles.  One of them is the ability to draw a ‘manikin frame’ in proportion, from memory.  That means plenty of weird and unlovely skeletal sketches, over and over again until I get it right.  Next is a series of memorizations of basic points on the body that, when outlined, will hint at bulk and major muscle groups.  And last (this is as far as I got in my perusals) is to memorize and practice until one can accurately draw all the major muscle groups of the body.  Thus, I have plenty of homework to do. 

090904mannikin

Lucky me, I really enjoy sketching on office paper, and I am armed with my absolutely favourite sketching pencil, which is a Prismacolor Expresso (that’s the colour name).  It goes on rich and buttery, has pleasant mellow darks, and delivers varied line widths far beyond regular graphite.  I’m almost looking forward to this.

  shirts_sketches 004

Hopefully, by the end (there’s never really an end to practice, but anyway) I’ll have improved my life drawing skills and developed an ability to draw people expressively without reference.  This would a huge leap in artistic freedom.

Here’s a place that offers the Andrew Loomis books for download.  I recommend printing them into hard copy so they can be properly studied.

Images: all 8x10 office paper & expresso Prismacolor. Top: preliminary ‘quick’ sketch for dog portrait.  Next too, some basic manikin practice without reference.

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

thank you for posting that link because I am getting really really frustrated with life drawing so hopefully this helps a lot. plan on spending all weekend reading it

kaslkaos said...

Don't work too hard! It will help, but you need to do the exercises; think of it as a long term thing, not short term.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I hear you on the technical. I heard one artist say that you don't go to art school if you want to be an artist. (This was 20 years ago!)I wonder why technique is such an evil to the schools? Why not get the technique and then get expressive?

I learned more about painting/drawing from private DVDs and a contemporary realist painter trained in Florence. Your strong drawing (and Jennifer Rose) is what makes your most expressive pieces so powerful.

I am not so much into drawing the human figure, but, when I try, this should be a great resource. Thanks for posting the link, Ingrid. I can't wait to see where you go with it!

Chrissy said...

I am very impressed. I alway think your figure drawing is superb in fact, I can always rememeber thinking back to one you did "swimming" and I was amazed at the proportions and flow. However, excerises do make things more natural and I always think you learn from whatever you practice. I take artwork on holiday, I have so little time normally that it is good to pick something up when I have some free time :)
I look forward to seeing the results...

kaslkaos said...

Oh my gosh. Did I actually say I would do homework? Was I nuts? I walked my socks off instead.
Thanks Michelle. I dream of someday having no technical limits on expression (I can dream) as I struggle with them everyday. Thanks for the compliment.
Chrissy, thanks. I remember 'swimming' too. I remember drawing the feet backwards because I just couldn't work it through in my head (thank goodness for erasers). That one actually was a spur for getting better at figure drawing.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin