Thursday, October 8, 2009
Baldhead River Lake Superior
Failures, experiments, and something new. This is an oil pastel. It began as an abstract watercolour meant to be a background for a linocut. The paper is new to me (hotpressed watercolour) and has some unfortunate qualities. The sizing, for instance, seems to have disintegrated in the first soaking, a quick dip. This meant the watercolour applied soaked right through and went spotty.
No matter, so I decide it will be a background for a coloured pencil piece. I add my matte gel medium with sand. It goes on so smooth and transparent I add another layer, with gusto! And start my cp work. The beginning was good, so was the middle, but I couldn't get the ending. I got to the point wherein nothing would change. I kept adding colour with no results. I discovered by gently brushing with a soft brush that the coloured pencil wasn't sticking to the paper. Time to give in and crumple, right? Wrong!
I hate wasting paper, especially anything I bought and paid for at an art store. I pull out my oil pastels that I had retired as being 'not my thing'. The oil pastel sticks, and I basically redid the piece in oils on top of the cp's. So once again, an almost abandoned piece spurs me into trying something new.
Two morals: waste not, want not, and failures can be great opportunities for learning.
And to all a good night...
Image: approx. 7"x14", hot-pressed watercolour paper, watercolour, coloured pencil, fine sand, acrylic gel medium and oil pastels. The scene is the mouth of the Baldhead River, Lake Superior Provincial Park, Orphan Lake Trail/and Coastal Trail. More on that later. I plan on trying this over again, in different media. Next up, Grey Stonehenge Paper and coloured pencil, no experiments--I want to play things safe for a change.