Friday, November 6, 2009

Feral

09110603feral_cat

Feral refers to many things, meaning something domestic reverted to wild. A cat, a dog, an orchard tree. These things can be feral. We rarely think of ourselves as such, domesticated as our lives may be, but for us, the wild lies equally just below the surface.

This is a view from my window; the cat is a frequent visitor—she may be feral, or just playing with the idea. The vastness of the overgrown field beckons and instincts blunted by easy meals are sharpened by the experience. The field is land that has lain fallow many years (another version of feral), dotted with sprawling survivors of an old orchard, filling in with transitional trees of aspen, birch and poplar, un-trimmed grass ripe with wild-flowers flowing with the wind. One day, surely, this small acreage of nascent wilderness will all fall to development, but for today, it is an inspiration.

Image: 8”x10” watercolour paper, watercolours, gouache, acrylic gel medium, fine sand & finally & most importantly, coloured pencils. This one was a discovery. Early on, much of the paper had lost its tooth inspite of the sand layer. Once again, it was time to take violent action or toss it in the trash (the WIP I posted was as far as I could take it in that state), so I slathered on a brand new layer of sand & gel, right on top of everything. It dried invisibly, and left a textured surface absolutely perfect for finishing. Yay! It’s probably obvious, but the underpainting is an abstract rich sepia tone.

7 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I really love this piece. REALLY love it. There is a feeling of freedom in the unkempt state of all of the beings within it. I think I am in there, with a little bit of thinly and poorly applied gloss to make me domestically acceptable and only marginally! But in there I am exposed! Maybe it's not so bad... :-D
It's funny how we see our own story inside that of another...

Jennifer Rose said...

love the colours :D great sense of movement to the grasses and to me it looks as if they branches in the background are reaching up to grab things :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle; I'm glad you see your own story behind it! It would be very disappointing if it was just another cute cat & tree picture. I guess maybe I am feral, no gloss on me, most times. Going out for dinner tonight though & will gussy myself up just for fun.
Thanks Jennifer, for liking & seeing grabby things lurking in the woods.

Jenny said...

Love the tawny tones of the picture, and how the cat does not have to be large in order to be prominent in the scene.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks so much Jenny, for stopping by. Helps that the cats a calico. Of course, I can make things up, but in this case, she really is.

Living In Aurora Blogger said...

kaslkaos you know you are so right, it is inspiration today, future will tell what will happen to it. There is so much development going in Aurora, that it is hard to find nice peaceful place to photograph. This is beautiful art work, and after you told your story, very inspirational. Anna :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks. I was so relieved to hear about the preservation of the Moraine, but it seems there will be only bits and pieces left. As for my view, it's just some neglected land and was never slated for naturalization, but I have grown fond of it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin