Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Life Drawing Tuesday, and some whine

09111702lifedrawing

ACEO sized, bristol, acrylic gel medium, fine sand, coloured pencil

Today’s topic; frustration

I took half the morning creating a new blog banner.  First, finding some artwork low key enough to work as a background but still representative of my characteristic style (low key it is not). Then, struggling with GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program).  It’s great, it’s free, but I don’t use the advanced features enough to be able to cruise through the process. 

In the meantime, I’m finishing a ‘bit off more than I can chew’ piece.  It’s a mixed media, and I’m still trying to pull all the elements together without mangling the surface.

So I sit down, and decide to write my Life Drawing Tuesday pose.  What could be easier?  Well, turns out I ‘lost’ my scanned image, and since scanning requires booting up the old beast (an old groaning Pentium) I refuse to do so. So much for full length colour sketch that the model actually said she liked (nice ego tickle). Maybe I’ll add it in next week (and I believe Santa is bringing me a new compatible scanner)

The remainder of last week’s session was a bust; I chose a sand-textured paper that I’d been hoarding for a long time.  It was velvety black with a hint of violet, and all on it’s own made a nice abstract painting.  However, I began badly and finished worse.  When I finally decided to ‘give up’, I began a portrait in an unused corner.  The above image is a rescue of the ‘long’ pose.  Excuses are boring so I won’t go there, but if I couldn’t make wine, at least I ended up with a decent vinegar (I cut out the portrait as an aceo).

Nuff’ said.

2 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Everybody has days like this... More than I care to admit! :-)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle. In an instant everything world, it's easy to have a frustrating day, isn't it?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin