Friday, January 29, 2010

Twilight Hemlocks Hollidge Tract

hemlocks4

More 'Walking At Night', my series of images of the forest at dusk and beyond. While I walk often in York Regional Forest, Hollidge Tract and I remain endlessly fascinated by it's moods at or near dusk. The sky is always interlaced with branches and the depths are dark with hemlocks. Grand vistas and glorious sunsets are not part of Hollidge Tract's repertoire.  In winter, sunsets are most often obscured by clouds but an observant eye will see the colours of the sunset refracted from the sky onto the landscape in an ever changing transformation. Hollidge Tract begs you to look closer and look again.

This view is of the south trail, looking east, just before actual sundown.

Image: 8”x10” watercolour cold-pressed paper, watercolour, coloured pencil, fine sand and acrylic gel.

6 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Ha! I found your post first this time!! :-D

I love the way a nice sky is broken up by trees - cubist landscapes...

Beautiful work.

kaslkaos said...

Early Bird! I'm fascinated by those sky holes, but I used to think it was only personal expression until I realized that in the local forests, this is what the sky looks like, always and everywhere broken into pieces by the trees.

Living In Aurora Blogger said...

kaslkaos thanks for sharing your beautiful nature thoughts, and this beautiful art. You know every time someone writes like that, I get inspired. I feel like putting layers and layers of clothing and go outside. Its been years since I actually been in the forest during the winter. The best forest memory I have, I remember when my sister and me went to the forest with a little axe to cut a Xmas tree down, and how we carried it home, it ended up being bigger than us, lol, but that was in Europe not here and I think we were 7 and 8 years old. Good old days. Again thanks for the inspirations. Anna :)

kaslkaos said...

There is something special about getting a Christmas tree. You've brought back some old memories for me too, Thanks!
...and you need to put some boots on, a coat, and gloves and come on out. It is so beautiful. I see colours in the winter that I never see in summer. A toboggan would make things really fun...I know some good hills... ;-)

Chrissy said...

I always love you forest CP pieces, they are always filled with expression. I really don't like the winter much if I was truthful but the colours of winter are always more interesting in a way. Subtle!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Chrissy. I thought my brain was doing flipflops this weekend, because the beech trees glowed turquoise, but then I just realized I've been training my brain to see these subtle colours--at least that's what I told myself. Hoping to get that experience into a cp.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin