Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spruce Grove-Hollidge Tract

spruce_grove

This is the Hollidge Tract, York Regional Forest, south end, looking West at the sun going down through a screen of trees. The spruce grove is a small dense plantation. Trees in rows are not the most aesthetically pleasing, but all the hoary lichen strung branches filtering an apricot makes creates a transformation.

I’ve been holding onto this one for some days. I had an ambitious and profound blog post composed in my head to go with it. Unfortunately, that masterpiece of eloquence has gone AWOL. Something about seeing the light, and the artists eye, and blah blah blah blather blather blather…

What the heck, this is a personal blog, not philosophy course so I’ll just nudge it on track with casual irreverence, lest I wallow too long in pretentiousness. Ha!

Image: 11”x14” on ripple watercolour paper. Mixed media combining watercolour, watersoluble coloured pencil, coloured pencils, acrylic gel & fine sand. Below, detail for texture. I love texture, some day I think I’ll just roam digitally looking for compositions within the composition, if you get my drift.

If you haven't already seen it, Work In Progress here

spruce_grove_detail1

spruce_grove_detail2

5 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Absolutely beautiful...

Jenny said...

I think you're right that plantations of trees planted in rows aren't usually as pretty as trees in the wilderness, but the colors in this portrait of the planted spruces are just wonderful. Kind of soft and hazy in a nice way.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle and Jenny!
And, yes. I must have missed this scene year after year. It must have been repeated every winter, and often, but it seemed all new when I 'noticed' it this year. I can only think I dismissed it because of the row planted trees.
What it speaks to, I think, how nature reasserts itself as soon as allowed. (jeepers, now that could have made a blog post). Sometimes a little conversation jiggles the muse.

Jennifer Rose said...

i love all the colours :D very dreamlike

when i was young I thought it was so strange seeing the trees growing in rows, thought it was an odd thing for nature to do. wasn't until I was about 5 or 6 when someone told me they were planted trees lol

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jen.
When I was young, I thought real people lived inside the living room stereo. I wondered how all of them fit inside...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin