Friday, April 9, 2010

This One is Going to China

prayers2

Title: Prayers for Little Children. Linocut block print on watercolour. 10”x10” Strathmore Bristol (8”x8” shown due to scanner limitations), 1 of 2.

This was created for an international traveling exhibition for the remembrance of the 2008 May 12th Sichuan earthquake. The casualties are unimaginable for me.

I had trouble with coming up for an appropriate image, the theme being ‘prayers for little children’. I have neither prayers nor children. Nor I am I particularly educated on the nuances of Chinese culture & religion. I wanted to come up with something that was both respectful of the issue and spiritually honest on my part.

The mandala, the circle, the cathedral rose window are all one universal symbol that repeats itself in all cultures. Without a beginning or end, it speaks of eternity, the interpretation is your choice, so I started there. I’m hoping it inspires appropriate thoughts. I only know my own, and it does make wish to gaze through and beyond. The golden children are whimsical, but just a little ominous, stamped as they are on the four corners. I won’t go on; interpretation is not my job.

8 comments:

Quiltbug said...

This is absolutely phenomenal. there is such depth of feeling in the colours and the design.

Chrissy said...

This is amazingly beautiful. I tried to comment first thing this morning and couldn't find the words. I still can't but the design is very unique and only you could come up with it... :D

Jennifer Rose said...

I am the same as Chrissy, hard to find the right words for this. it is very beautiful and has lots of meaning behind it. very well done

Living In Aurora Blogger said...

Oh this is beautiful! I think you came out with nice idea here.
Anna :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks all. Gosh darned, am I blushing. Quiltbug, hmmm... let me guess, it could make a quilt design.
Chrissy, Jennifer, 'tis okay. If words were enough we wouldn't need the bother of making art. (hmmm... thinking now I should tweet that.)
Thanks, 'almost a neighbour' & someday I swear I'll run into you and not know it at Fairy Lake, glad you like it.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

It looks like a stained glass rosette to me - like the ones above the main windows in a cathedral. Beautiful...

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, it was the deliberate effect I was after, but also hand drawn (no compass etc.) for contrast.

aine scannell said...

Hi there I am also a participant in Waverley Liu's "Prayers for Little Souls" project/exhibition. Pleased to meet you.

I have not had any documentation of anything that has happened - have you

aine@ainescannell.com

Happy New Year Aine

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin