Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bountiful--photo

 

10072001raspberries

Another thing keeping me busy, as anyone following me through twitter knows, is the bumper crop of raspberries this year. I’m finding the everywhere. Well, actually, I changed my cycling route and found some lovely untouched roadside bushes, mostly of the black variety which are both more delicious and vicious. They sport hooks for thorns, and regularly draw blood (a worthy sacrifice), as opposed to the wimpy hairy raspy things the red ones brandish (which scratch and tickle). Kind of like tigers vs kittens of the fruit world.

Now above, you see a most delicious mixed handful, and trust me, the berries in this photograph were not long for this world, and disappeared in, well, one gulp. Yum. The inky stains on my fingers are from the black raspberries, and yes, they are black raspberries, as blackberries are a different, but related fruit, flashing neon green ‘coming soon’ colours all over the woods at this moment.

Speaking of inky fingers, I don’t blog much about letterboxing (shhhh…it’s a secret) but then I thought it might be good to add a few good folks to our ranks so I agreed to do an interview about it.  Here you can read a beautifully written and well-researched article by Toronto Star reporter, Francine Kopun. I never realized how much hard work and creative sweat goes into a newspaper article until I found myself a part of the process.  She did an amazing job of it; tramped through woods with me, shared space with my german shepherd dog, and sat on the rug so as not to dislodge three imperial cats (yes, of course I offered to toss them off the couch).  If you don’t already know what letterboxing is, this will give you a comprehensive and delightful overview.

Letterboxing-A Different Kind of Treasure Hunt

And you’ll get to see me again too, ha ha.

3 comments:

Quiltbug said...

What fun you always have. I'm going next door to get the 'real' paper with the article in it.

Jenny said...

Great minds think alike! Thank heaven for blackberries, black raspberries, and red raspberries. There is a pie with wild berries in my future this summer, I think.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Quiltbug, you can have the same fun too. The boxes are in the woods, waiting for you...
Jenny: mmmm....pie. You have WAY too much self-control. I just eat them, and eat them, and when I'm full, I collect them, take them home, and EAT them, in other words, they would never make it into a pie.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin