Friday, July 23, 2010

Let’s Talk about the Weather

10072301weather

Image: 4”x6” coloured pencil on watercolour paper.  This is an example of heavy burnishing, with the colour literally mashed into the textured paper.  This was from a moment at 7:15 AM driving east on Denison Road, Markham. Flash…memorize, pay attention to the traffic, memorize, memorize, pay attention to the traffic light…hold that thought…park, take out art kit, pull off a quick aceo, get on with day…the coloured pencil here is based on the memory with the aceo as a reference.

10072302storm-runners

Image: photography, bumped up the contrast to match what the eye so easily perceives.  These streamers with their lacy fractal swirls preceded a large storm front flowing in from the west, taken from the vantage of my lawn chair while I lay prone and fascinated beneath these harbingers of chaos.  While others may enjoy their lawn chairs under the blazing sun, or perhaps on a hot day, recline beneath a tree, nothing could match the experience of lying flat, face up staring into this complex roiling sky.  These streamers swept across the entire sky in continuous motion, broadly from west to east and minutely, with every trailing wisp curling and tumbling within the greater forms.  I stayed out for an hour and never got bored—more hits per minute than the latest reality tv. I only went indoors when it was too dark to see.  Thunderstorms followed shortly after.

And the moral of this story:  Keep your eyes open to the world around you—look up.  Some of the best entertainments require no electronic gadgets, although this one provided its own electricity.

8 comments:

Laurel said...

Hi Ingrid, Lovely art card!
I mentioned you and made a link to your Hapless post in my last blog post. I tried to send you an email but my email keeps timing out. All because I'm in a rush I'm sure.
Cheers! Laurel

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I know what you mean about watching a stormy sky...

kaslkaos said...

Hi Laurel, Thanks! I read your post about the 2nd Artist Alley. Good one, your set-up looks wonderful. Thanks for the mention too. I'm a bit behind in comments this weekend, working on my blog design...
Hi there Michelle, it's always great to hear from you.

Jennifer Rose said...

i love laying back and watching the sky :D (with sunscreen on of course :p) so many shapes fly by and its always fun seeing what other people make out of the shapes.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer; sounds like you've taken far more advantage of the all-day picture show than I. It takes a stormy day to get me looking up.

Chrissy said...

LOL, what a great post :) I saw the art, loved it and had forgotten the entertainment value of your narrative. As you know, I am also terrible at creation from memory so well done to you.
I was gobsmacked when I arrived on your blog, it was hey up what has been happening here then? It looks like you have been spring cleaning. Mind I should talk, I am forever changing mine. I like it, it looks light and airy :)

Jenny said...

One time years ago I came across a society for the appreciation of the sky. I can't remember what the exact name of it was. Their idea was very simple: just look up! I'm glad I don't live in a place like a city in northern Europe with predominantly overcast skies (like Hamburg or Rotterdam). Here in North Carolina, we've been getting fantastic thunderstorm skies.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Chrissy, I'm trying for a 'one size fits all' blog, ie. this personal journal, more 'professional' 1st impression though? My husband wants the colour back, I miss it too, but I like the look of the monochrome. hmmmm...
Jenny, that society sounds fascinating. Enjoy those stormy skies...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin