Friday, July 16, 2010

Work in Progress-coloured pencil

100716wip1

So here is the 2.5x3.5 (atc/aceo) that I’m using as a reference, and the my chosen ‘palette’ of pencils. I always begin with a limited palette, preferring mixed colours over the 256 pencils thing. I expand my palette later as necessary, but in this case, no green pencils will be used.

10071603wip

After a brief sketch to get things down, I rough in with water colour on 9x12 Arches Watercolour Paper (thanks Anonymous, for your gift). My rough is using 3 colours only, gamboges yellow, burnt sienna and prussian blue.

10071602wip

Now I’ve started scribbling in with pencil. Sounds easy, but I work in brief bursts with a lot of head scratching in between. Painting is much quicker, but there is something about the glow and the line of coloured pencil that I can’t resist. Above, though, we are far from glow, as I’m still being quite ‘tentative’.

10071604wip

The colour is saturated now in most sections: the lower right has what I call ‘glow’. I’m using a pencil called electric blue—it is a bright blue but extremely transparent and I hope it never gets discontinued. Now I get to decide if I want to add a layer of acrylic gel and sand, or continue on as is. I also plan to scrape back some colour and paper to lay in some pure colour, there is one experimental yellow dot in the middle tree trunk.  Currently this work is ‘percolating’ on my table. Meaning that I have it propped up to glance at now and again while I contemplate how I should proceed.

So now I’m off to work on the next Issue V of my Itty Bitty Books. Scanning, writing, fiddling with the Gimp, and, I’m sure, a lot more head scratching. Does anything ever get easier???

5 comments:

Laurel said...

It's looking good! I love the colours, that's my favorite green.

Chrissy said...

Looks interesting and I am encouraged that you don't use loads of colours. I only every buy a box of 24 and then add as I need them...
I thought it was just me!
Same with paint!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Laurel, I think it's done now, but haven't decided.
Chrissy, that's the way to do it. Mixed colours are richer, more nuanced, something that probably doesn't show on the web, but you must see it in your own work.
Also why cp's take so gosh darned long....

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I have so much respect for the patience it takes to work in CP. Ingrid - your composition with contrasts is beautiful.

I have been bad at keeping up this spring. That should change back to normal now - I hope! :-)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, keeping the work small helps. If I was forced to go big, I'd have to change mediums.
Always look forward to your blog posts, maybe we'll see one soon?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin