Thursday, August 19, 2010

E Minor

IMG_1729

I’ve been out of blogging for awhile. It’s summer, I’m busy, and I sliced my left index finger. I believe a large portion of my brain resides in my left index finger, as I haven’t been able to concentrate since. It still feels fuzzy, one week later, and while the doctor said I’d be able to play guitar within seven days, I’m not about to try it. I suspect, like many a straight edged cut, it’s healing very slowly. Without giving too many details, I was busy slicing up paper/art to size getting ready for the show. I suppose I became over confident about my technique with an exacto knife and steel ruler, as I was 1/3 of the way through my finger before I realized my mistake. I’d only taken up playing guitar again after a 30 year hiatus, so I basically panicked about the whole thing.

In guitar, that left index finger is one hugely important digit. And that’s where Murphy’s Law comes into play. My guitar has been languishing in the closet for many years. Occasionally I’d miss it, but realized that there was a long road back to being able to actually play it again. And then my husband received an electric grand piano (workplace incentive program). Well, while I enjoyed hearing him practice, a little green monster reared it’s ugly head at the same time. I wanted to make music too. And so, I realized I had a perfectly good, and grossly neglected musical instrument of my own, so I polished it off and set to practicing. It was like starting all over again, but even after four days there was real progress—and then !snick! the all important digit was rendered temporarily useless. And, at least for guitar (today is the first day back to 10 fingered typing) it still is. I’ll be practicing right hand exercises, and visually memorizing musical notes and finger positions. And, after perusing my books, it turns out there are two chords (and only two) that I can play with my remaining fingers—E minor and G major, except G is technically beyond my reach. At least I have something to practice.

So, that’s it. If you were wondering, this is why I’ve been neglecting my blog and your blog. Hopefully, the brain will slide back into its proper housing.  Mostly I’ve been procrastinating on things I need to be doing for the show; framing, & cutting paper, all of which involves knife work (I’m sure you understand my reluctance); but I’m investing in some better, safer knives/mat cutters, because using a straight edge and a naked blade is an accident waiting to happen. I wish no repeats!

PS. Thumb position is REALLY BAD form, but I was taking the picture with my right hand at the time.

10 comments:

Laurel said...

OUCH!! That looks nasty. Exacto knives can be perilous. I stabbed myself in the thigh with one, years ago and have been very careful ever since. I remember that my brain didn't work afterward. I spent the rest of the day on the couch. I think exacto knives have evil powers.
Hope you're feeling better soon!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Laurel. Yes, they are evil.
Now I can speculate on how you managed to get your thigh!?

Jenny said...

Hope your finger heals fast! I'm dealing with a slight problem myself right now. Let me just put it this way: Never change the position of the oven racks after you have already started to broil something! Have a small, but very ugly-looking burn on my lower arm. It will be fine, but I seem to be aware of it most of the time. Oh well, these things just happen from time to time.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Eek!!!
My husband has banned me from sharp objects. I did a lot of cutting for my cards, but, try to keep it at a minimum, because inevitably, I end up with blood flowing! LOL!
Hope you heal quick...

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jenny, the brain & body are connected in ways we are not conscious of. Makes me wonder why we are surprised when 'minor' injuries are completely distracting.
Michelle, hope I didn't freak you out too much. I guess now you can say your husband won the argument. It turns out there are relatively safe ways to use an exacto knife. It turns out that for mysterious and illogical reasons, I was extending the blade way too much. Lesson learned.

Jennifer Rose said...

ow ow ow ow ow!!! that actually looks worse then i had thought it was :/ ow ow ow hope its getting better now

Missy Ricco said...

aaarrrhhh that made me feel funny in my tummy :o\ Hope it is healing okay!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, it actually only hurt if I banged it on something, which I did on several occasions...
Missy Rocco, there is a certain 'gross-out' factor to finger injuries, which is the part that I found hardest to handle. Of course I'm VERY generous and had to share ;-) -thanks for stopping by.

LivingInAurora.ca said...

Ouch ouch I got goose bumps hearing your story. Hope is much better by now. So playing guitar again, lol, I have that neglected instrument in the basement too, and been thinking if I should give away or keep it. My little guy loves music, so may be I keep it for him, I only played in high school. We also have electric piano at home, took lessons before Matthew was born as an adult (my parents thought accordion was better choice for me when I was in elementary school, lol). But I think I am done, its Matthew's turn to play, lol.

Funny how you say about being slow with your things this summer, I felt like that too, slowly getting motivated again.

Anna :)

BTW thanks for commenting on my Myonlyphoto blog. Appreciated.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Anna; guitars never go obsolete, as long as it's not warped or cracked, it's good. My husband has an electric piano, and they are great instruments, you just play them with no fuss. You are never done playing; perhaps duets with Matthew are in your future?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin