Thursday, August 5, 2010

Spring in Glen Major Tract

10080101spring

Image: 9”x12” mixed media/coloured pencil on 90lb watercolour paper, using coloured pencil, watersoluble pencil, watercolour, acrylic gel medium and fine sand.

As I’ve said, I had a great deal of trouble this spring making the transition from concentrating on printmaking back to my coloured pencil work—art is NOT like riding a bicycle. But the green disaster is behind me, and here is another piece belatedly finished (I prefer to work within the seasons).  Once again, no green used in this picture, honest. A variety of yellows and blues make for a more nuanced green; mostly lemon yellow, peacock blue, and electric blue in Prismacolor. Gosh, I hope they never discontinue electric blue.

10080101glen_major_spring-detail

Detail, for texture.

This one goes with themes I explored in Real Alchemy, being that chlorophyll has, over a scale of millennia accomplished the most significant atmospheric change for this planet. Of course, our lust for fossil fuels is putting homo sapiens into a good position for ‘runner up’.

Maybe all of it surfaced this spring, walking through rain dampened woods beneath silvered skies.  The greens of spring had such a glow and depth to them. Blog watchers will probably even be familiar with this scene, as I’ve tackled it in various smaller formats on a number of occasions. In particular, this is from Glen Major Tract, along it’s southern edge. Recommended hiking territory, by the way. I think I’m done with it now.

And on to summer.

PS. Summer being full on, I’ve been doing summer things, like visiting, swimming, and enjoying the woods, so I’m a bit behind on blogging, both visiting yours and posting to mine. Enjoy the summer, all.

5 comments:

LivingInAurora.ca said...

You are behind on blogging, dear you should see me, lol. Lovely art as always. You know I bought my son crayons, I think I like them more then he does, coloring Elmo books, lol. Anna :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Anna, crayons are cool. I wish they made crayons with good pigment, because I would probably use them in my art (kids crayons may fade faster).

Laurel said...

This is beautiful! I love the sense of movement. It's interesting that you used no green. What did you do with the sand?

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Laurel; this one starts with watersoluble pencils, painted in, then some coloured pencil, then a transparent acrylic glaze mixed with sand (almost invisible) followed by more coloured pencil. The grit adds texture that grabs the pencil pigments. Interesting things happen.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Your work is so fluid... Like everything is dancing, celebrating!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin