Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sealey’s Lake-Killarney Provincial Park

sealey_killarney72

Sealey’s Lake—Killarney Provincial Park, 8x10 watercolour.

A more traditional take to illustrate the holidays. This is Sealey’s Lake on the La Cloche Silhouette Trail, from the east side. While the entire trail is a serious 78 km backpacking trail, my husband take on the near portion for day hikes. Sealey’s Lake is a bit of a slog, being 2 hours one way, but the scenery changes from deep hemlock woodlands, to rocky heights & towering pines, through lush deciduous woodlands and into the heart of the fens. Sealey’s Lake is more of fen than a lake, being shallow and surrounded by peat bog, but it is beautiful nonetheless and a favourite destination. This little rocky outcropping is the point where we stop for lunch to enjoy the view—usually.

This time around, it was raining, and we hid under a sheltering pine to stop only briefly and take a reference snap. The fact that the weather was terrible and getting worse was the main reason we decided to push on to Sealey’s Lake, as there is nothing worse than trying to kill time at a campsite on a rainy day.

We had had plenty of warning, as the morning sky offered up a most accurate weather report. We woke to a low formless ceiling of grey sky, and utterly still stifling air. I joked, sort of, that the weather for today would begin with a fine mist and increase by unnoticeable increments into an all day rain by noon. For once, I was fervently wishing I would be proven wrong, but alas it turned into a prophecy by the time we reached Sealey’s Lake there was a steady light rain from leaden skies. I won’t bother showing you the reference photo, as all was blank and grey; thank goodness for artistic licence. By the time we returned to camp, we were pretty well soaked in spite of raingear, and things got worse from there. This all happened on our second last day of our holidays, and I confess we packed up early and cleared out (still pouring rain) the next day. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to end a camping trip and curl up in a nice warm bed under a real roof.

It’s good to be home.

PS. for those of you interested in such things, the painting was done in a limited palette of brown madder, gamboges yellow, prussian blue and paynes grey.

5 comments:

Quiltbug said...

I love it!!!

Jenny said...

I liked your descriptions of less-than-ideal weather (which can actually be nice to look at, just not to live in). I relate to the description of running away from the rain when camping. I've done it more than once--waking up to hear the rain pattering on the tent, getting out of the tent, quickly shaking it and folding it as best as possible, then dealing with the drying and cleaning process some other time!

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Beautiful....
And I like your description of the sky as well. :-)

Chrissy said...

A very well rendered tree and I like the narrative to go with it. Sometimes it is cool when there is a good reason to be home after a holiday. It makes it easier for me to come to terms with the fact that the holiday is over!
Although it is never so easy to recall the rain & grey skies when I am trying to cope with a major work dilemma/crisis the following week ;-)

kaslkaos said...

Quiltbug, THANKS so much!
Jenny, ha, once camped three days in constant rain, and everything, including me, smelled like mushrooms. Sometimes flight IS the best option.
Michelle, thanks. And I'll bet you've seen your share of 'those' skies yourself. The weekend is looking good, though.
Chrissy, thanks. And yes, I felt oddly gleeful about 'escaping' from the holidays.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin