Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Trespass

tresspass

If you were looking at this scene, you would be trespassing. The land itself has been up for sale for more years that I can remember (it predates my moving into the Musselman’s Lake community). Left fallow, it becomes more beautiful with the passing years as the forest grows and encroaches on the field areas, and the fields, especially now in the autumn glows with blossoms of goldenrod and asters.

This is where my husband walks the dog; I mostly avoid it due to the dirt bike and atv traffic (this year, thank fully curtailed by frequent police presence (Yay!)) I always view this place with a level of sadness, a fragile landscape that with the stroke of a pen could be bulldozed into oblivion at any moment. Oh well, I suppose I should just appreciate what is, as all things end sooner or later and trespass…

8”x10” Watercolour, Arches Cold-Pressed paper. Colours used, gamboges yellow, brown madder, prussian blue, paynes grey and dioxanine purple. In this case the purple was a late addition as it’s impossible to mix purple with the chosen palette and the asters were an important element. To integrate the colour, I added just a touch of madder, and then added the purple to shade shadows, sky and distance.

I’ve been busy with watercolours in part to practice speed and commitment. Wet in wet wash technique does not tolerate any of the dithering, picking and poking and other procrastinations that I’m in the habit of when working with dry media.

3 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

i love seeing places like this where no one does anything with, shows how fast nature reclaims things.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Yes, so do I...

Beautiful painting. You seem to catch the calm of Nature in your work.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, yep, it makes me feel good whenever the wild things take over.
Thanks Michelle, watercolour wash is a good medium for contemplations.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin