Friday, November 19, 2010

Mess coalescing into some semblance of order.

An Update from my 365 Artcard Project.
IMG_2290
I’ve been at this since (some undefined time), but suffice to say, at one point in time, there were none, then some, now many and it’s only just begun. Since ‘whenever’ I’ve kept close at hand tiny 2.5” x 3.5” pieces of paper, often recycled from failed artworks (sweet revenge). At night before bed (while in bed, btw), while visiting (before guitar) and while in the car waiting  for doors to open, I work on these small works of art.
IMG_2291
I named it the 365 Artcard Project, a name nondescript enough to leave the field wide open to experiment and explore all sorts of avenues. A project to plenty of room for discovery.  Because I didn’t want to set myself up for failure or impose limits, I never pledged to do one per day. Instead, I do as many as often as I can; days go by without progress followed by spurts of multiples.  While I do keep most, as even the worst of them can reveal germs of ideas and threads to riff off of, I do allow myself to discard, reuse or destroy those I wish to disappear.
IMG_2292
After many months I have a huge amount, and nope, I’m not counting them. I’d rather just watch the pile grow.  Threads and themes emerge as I sift through the pile and I sort them, more or less, accordingly. Dropped months previous are pulled forward into my mind, and abandoned ideas seen with fresh eyes.
IMG_2355
Above is their home; looks like an expanded wing should be on order. The piles are loosely sorted by their apparent themes.
IMG_2293
By the Sea
IMG_2309
Faces, etc…
Actually, I’ve put a bunch up in Picasso photo album.  You’re welcome to rummage through. The singles featured in the album are all from the first month when I ambitiously intended to scan and post each one individually (quickly abandoned because it would leave no time for art!).  At the time, I was trying anything and everything, but styles and methods developed from those scattered beginnings and now coalesce into some semblance of order. 
This is my idea factory, you can peak at more here: http://picasaweb.google.com/kaslkaos/365ArtCardsProject#

4 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I think it is wonderfully brave to embark on this and that you have such a collection now is amazing.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks, but not so brave, a project born of fear of failure. Hard to get too uptight about such itty bits of paper...it's turned out to be a great workaround

Jennifer Rose said...

so colourful all together like that :)
this is a great collection of art to have made :D

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, and the cool thing is, it's not past tense. It just keeps going without sweat.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin