Friday, November 5, 2010

Slime

pink_slime72a
Some of my favourite fungi are slime.  Introducing the red raspberry slime, aka tubifera ferruginosa.  This little creeper was found in the Hollidge Tract, York Regional forest, and yes, the slime moulds are capable of movement, defying the definition of animal vs vegetable. They are also shape shifters, here appearing as its name sake, but over time will change to a darker colour, and from this tasty looking cluster will turn tubular and cigarlike.
pink_slime72
Below is an unidentified white slime.  From a distance, it looks like frost formation on wood. Since it was well above zero when I found it, I knew it had to yet another slime mould. If anyone can identify it, I would be happy to hear it. It might be tapioca slime, brefeldia maxima.  Shapeshifters that they are, I can’t be sure.
white-slime72
When you’re walking in the woods, never forget to look down, and not just for reasons of safety. There’s a wonderful world down there, if you take the time to observe closely.
More on mushrooms here: The Mushroom Pages
PS. New watercolours are up at Kaslkaos Etsy store. I’ll blog about some of them later.

7 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

odd looking stuff. makes neat looking photos tho :)

kaslkaos said...

I like to think of them as creeping along the forest floor. Actually, hard to photograph with my snapshot camera, because they are so small and the forest is dark, but I like to share my finds.

Chrissy said...

Wow,, I am impressed. I have never seen anything quite like that. There is a distinct lack of any kind of fungi here right now ~ I guess there must be a reason for that.
They look like sponges...great photos as Jen says :)

Laurel said...

Very interesting! The white slime looks a little like seaweed, but I know you're not near the sea.

kaslkaos said...

Chrissy, I've never seen the pink stuff either--I was impressed by it's cuteness, cute slime...
Never been to sea Laurel, but nope, decidedly slime in this case. Even the white stuff is in a pretty state this time around, usually it's just, well, slimey.

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Any good forest has fungus! LOL!
I did not know they could creep. Sounds like something out of a science fiction novel. Very cool and nice photos too!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, yep, slimes are cool. You need time lapse photography to watch them move, except in extremely rare and ideal (for the slime) conditions.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin