Sunday, November 7, 2010

Spontaneous

10110401fallfantasy72
I’ve been working through a number of watercolours since my return from holidays. Some of them you have seen, some of them you will see, and others will never be seen except by me. I’ve worked in watercolour on and off, most often when I want to work with photo reference, and I’ve always been very careful as mistakes are, for the most part, indelible. I consider it a good medium for discipline in this regard, but much of what I’ve done in the past was more or less ‘realism’ which is not my style. I suppose I felt a need to ‘go there’, perhaps to prove a point, and it was also a ‘safe’ direction to go while learning. Well, I’m still learning  (and hope that process never stops) and this week I needed to abandon my masking frisket as it became all but unusable. With that crutch out of reach (but on my shopping list, I like the stuff) I felt free to just load up the page with colour and see what happens. It helps that there was a scene in my head that never had been translated into a photograph, and here it is. Fall Fantasy, inspired by South Glen Major Tract, Uxbridge, during peak colours in October. 
10110401fallfantasy72b
10110401fallfantasy72c
10110401fallfantasy72a
I’m still scratching my brain out trying to come up with my next mixed media/coloured pencil project. I have not a clue what I want to settle down with for a few weeks of time. In the meantime, there’ll be plenty of water colour.
Fall Fantasy is available on Etsy.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, I do like that assortment of colors! Not bright flame colors, not completely muted, but something soft in between those extremes. Very nice!

Jennifer Rose said...

gorgeous colours :D the paper looks like it is on fire :)

kaslkaos said...

Thank you, the two Jens!
Colours thanks to the palette I'm using, Brown Madder (reddish brown), Gamboges Yellow (eggyolk), Paynes Grey (dark blue/black).

Michelle (artscapes) said...

I'll add my love of the colours. We are fully winter ready here - the colours long gone.

kaslkaos said...

Thanks, I'm kinda stuck on this pallete for now, although I'll likely switch to something cooler for winter, probably alizarin. We are in the browns down here, but the extravaganza is still fresh in my mind.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin