Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Scaling Up, from very tiny to…

IMG_2421

Something bigger.

I’ve been doing my 365 Art Card Project for many months now.  Each card, is a little artwork in it’s own right (or a practice, experiment, therapy or any and all of the above). Some of them become the body of my Itty Bitty Little Books. When I want to work out a new painting now, I use the art cards also. Unlike rough sketches and thumbnails, the fact that I consider these little guys a  finished product makes me work at the details in a serious way. But often, I just do them. Just like that, no agenda, just to see what will happen. Like the one below, done with mechanical pencil on Yupo. Which I keep going back to, looking at, thinking, hmmmm… what about a larger mixed media. I decided the fine lines would scale up nicely to 18”x24” which, for me, is REALLY REALLY BIG.  But it will give me plenty of room for line and texture and colour in and amongst the negative space. I decided, since I really felt the atc was successful, to use technology to scale up, and printed it onto 4 pages, reconstructed with cello tape, and trace onto a graphite transfer sheet (8x10 paper, thoroughly coated in pencil, by hand). I had all the tools laid out for this photograph, but by the time I fetched my camera, Dynamo had inserted herself into the picture.  So instead of moving her, I snapped away, then worked around her to do the tracing. This project should take awhile, and I will pick away at it between printmaking and watercolour and Itty Books and 365 Art Cards, and now I’m getting a head ache. No wonder I feel stressed for time.

But I thought it about time I took of the brakes and just go….I mean the atc size has really done that for me already on a tiny scale, but sometimes you just need more room.

10121103_72

7 comments:

Michelle (artscapes) said...

Oooo! I can't wait to see this one done! :) I love the drawing....

kaslkaos said...

I'm still trying to find room for the board on desk. Yikes, big! Thanks for the endorsement. I'll need it as I pick away.

Jennifer Rose said...

*pets puppy*

I love all the lines, there is so much movement in this piece :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer, & Dynamo needs a pet today. She's in surgery for her knee (cruciate ligament).

Jennifer Rose said...

ouch poor pup :( hope she is ok

Chrissy said...

Looks like a great project....well done to you for pushing yourself out of the comfort zone!
I feel sorry for Dynamo :( I still swear at that damn ligament!!! LOL

LivingInAurora.ca said...

kaslkaos you always have these exciting and challenging projects on your hand, to me sounds like fun!

Hope you have a happy holiday season filled with love and peace, happiness and good health. Enjoy.

Anna :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin