Thursday, August 25, 2011

Letting Nature do the Talking

11082501flower-gelatin
detail of 5'”x7” gelatin print using found natural objects (flowers from my garden)
11082503gelatin-print
detail of 5'”x7” gelatin print using found natural objects (weeds from my garden)
11082502gelatin-print
5'”x7” gelatin print using found natural objects (flowers from my garden)
11082504gelatin-print
detail of 5'”x7” gelatin print using found natural objects (oak and mulberry leaf from industrial parking lot in Markham Ontario)
I’m busy matting and framing for the show, and thought I’d better scan a few before I lock them behind paper and glass.  Since I started doing gelatin printing, I’ve been fascinated by the results of using found natural objects, but always felt they needed something more—my stamp, literally.  But as I assessed the latest batch with white matt in hand, I began setting some aside as ‘finished’ seeing that I had nothing to add to the picture. Sometimes you need to step back a bit and I don’t have much more to say about it; this time I’ll let nature do the talking.

8 comments:

Chrissy said...

These are brilliant, they just conjure up the forest and trees. Quite right ~ simply nature but, what a great depiction of it :)

LivingInAurora.ca said...

These are very beautiful. I tried to pick my favorite, but each of them is unique and special. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with your show. Anna :)

Jennifer Rose said...

i love that last one :) the colours work so well and there are just so many shapes to look at and let your imagination run free with them

Jenny B. said...

I like the top one. The flowers seem to be floating or spinning.

kaslkaos said...

Sorry it took awhile to get back. Getting ready for that show.
Chrissy, thanks, it was just stepping back from control.
Anna, thanks and thanks...
Jennifer, the last one is the result of re-using the leaves, the colours from the last printing come off on the next.
Jenny B. Yep, the top one is my fav. too, the colours & shapes remind me of late '60's poster art.

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Beautifully done! Good luck with the show!

Jemjoop said...

So pretty! What a brilliant idea. Great to see how you make them too :)

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Michelle, and, for me, I'm just a little sad to hear you're moving far away. I always thought of you as being just a little further than around the corner.
Thanks Jemjoop. You're so creative too, are you going to try this? A packet of gelatin, a 6"x6" sandwich container, some leaves and flowers...magic ensues.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin