Friday, August 12, 2011

One for the Money

chipmunk-atc-linocut72
Chipmunk Dreams, ATC linocut relief hand-printed on Canson Mi-Tientes paper.
One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, and four to go.
Now that I'm in 'get ready for September's show mode", this silly ditty seems really apt. Last Saturday I read a news article about a New York artist that sells boxed New York trash (genuine trash hand-picked fresh off of New York streets) at $50 a piece.  The lesson an artist can learn from this is: the absolute importance of packaging and marketing.  After all, if someone out there can successfully sell trash as fine art, well...
So I'm getting busy, putting my thinking cap on, and doing all sorts of not-particularly creative things. Who likes framing? Anyone? How about cutting paper into ever smaller, but accurately measured pieces? Any takers?  Licking and sticking corners….

squirrel-atc-linocut72
Squirrel, ATC linocut relief hand-printed on Canson Mi-Tientes paper, with gold-metallic effect.
As I attended Nature's Creations last year, I realized that most of the passers-by were hikers and dog walkers just out for a jaunt in the forest, the art show was a surprise. And with that in mind, I was determined to have more 'take-away' items, under $50 (the latest gelatin prints I’ve been showing off), and under $10 (cards & atc’s). I'm very happy with the atc linocuts on a card. I struggled with the aspect of devaluing original art by turning it into a greeting card. Happily solved it (with additional labour) by mounting each atc with photo-corners that frame and highlight the art, while in no way damaging the piece with any adhesive. These can be popped out and framed. I also reduced the size of the block to 2x3 so that a standard frame won't shave off a half inch of image (which turns out to be a crucial amount for miniature art). The nuthatch was quite a carving challenge in the fine details; I really MUST use reading glasses to carve these little guys. The chipmunk appeared mysteriously and complete on my page as I was drawing the designs for the squirrel. Very strange when that happens, basically, I started with squirrel in mind, as chipmunk appeared on the page. I didn’t fight it, and just let the pencil do it’s thing, and there he is, preserved for all time.
3-atc-linocuts72
3 for the Show! with a lovely natural mosaic of my pesticide free lawn. It’s not a weed if I like it.
This critters, and others will be accompany in September at the Nature’s Creations Show in York Regional Forest, Hollidge Tract, HWY 48 & Cherry Street, Aurora, Ontario, September 24th, 2011.
PS. I will get back to those ‘thoughtful’ blogposts sometime soon, likely after September. Right now, I have A LOT of catching up to do, and am actually quite happy not to share my ‘inner thoughts’ quite yet.

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

they look great on your lawn :) we have lots of weeds, i don't really like them, but i can't be bothered ripping them up :p

$50 for trash?!? o.0 who is stupid enough to buy that?!

kaslkaos said...

I love my weeds; Creeping charlie being the worst of them, and it smells wonderful when cut or walked on. Jennifer, it's time to embrace them.
The $50 trash is considered FINE ART! & I could name the artist, but I'm sure he needs no help with publicity.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin