Friday, September 9, 2011

Wish You Were Here

gargantua-lighthouse
Lighthouse Island: Gargantua Harbour, Lake Superior Provincial Park, 2010
It’s that time of year again! Yearly I migrate to the coast. Unlike the geese, I head North in the autumn, for pleasant days, and crisp cool nights. Sometimes it even snows!  The water is always more or less cold, but if you grit your teeth and jump in, it’s usual great for swimming.  Cold, clear, clean, we drink it too. Not that we have a choice. This harbour is about 40 kilometres away from the nearest tap.
fetching-water
This is my husband being very chivalrous, fetching water first thing in the morning when the sun hasn’t had a chance to warm up the shoreline. When the waves kick up the sand, it takes a good long jaunt out to get the good stuff—not that sand is a big deal, but I’d rather not have grit in my coffee.
I’ll be off-line for a bit, enjoying sea, surf and sand (hopefully), so please don’t get worried if I don’t comment or visit your blogs for a bit (and if you haven’t already guessed, I’m using the post-date feature).
self-portrait
Gargantua Harbour: Lake Superior Provincial Park, 2010. Also, a typical photographers self-portrait. Looks like I’m wearing a toque…probably am, but I don’t remember being that cold.

4 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Beautiful... I am willing to bet the water is warm this year....

Jennifer Rose said...

have a great time! draw lots :D

Jenny B. said...

That sunset is just gorgeous!

kaslkaos said...

Thanks you guys for dropping off these notes while I was away. Leaves me something to look forward to when I get home.
And as for the water, I wouldn't exactly call it warm, but it was mostly bearable, and quite tasty too.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin