Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Life Drawing Tuesday

12011901ursula-rev72

Getting back into life drawing after the holiday hiatus was difficult for all of us. Feeling rusty, we unanimously called for short poses, but that really didn't help. As one fellow artist declared, while staring at the thing that appeared on his easel, "Tonight I feel like I'm back in kindergarten!" and I felt the same.  I usually enjoy short poses, for their energy and brevity, but this time everything was such a chore, and I yawned, a lot (never a good sign).  By the last pose (30 minutes) I grabbed a mechanical pencil out of sheer frustration, and here's what happened (just for fun, I digitally reversed the values).  Mechanical pencils are an unwritten taboo for the artist, considered too precise for expressive art and best reserved for drafting and geometry, but it certainly worked out for me and in fact, lent a certain sense of freedom to the line (although I don’t quite know why).
12011901ursula72
And here’s the sketch as is, without any digital fun. This time I’m not sure which I like better, but mostly I’m relieved that I didn’t leave the session with nothing to show. (the remainder of the evening are getting recycled)

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

very nice line work :D

felt like a first timer when we got back to life drawing after the holidays, was a little disheartening, but seem to have gotten back into the groove of things

kaslkaos said...

Thanks Jennifer. Seems like getting back is tough on EVERYBODY. And normal too, phew...glad you too got back in the groove.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin