Tuesday, March 20, 2012

It’s Getting Hot in Here

12032001tree-line72a
The weather is unseasonably warm; record breaking temperatures up to 20c above seasonal norms.  Frogs are singing, 2 months ahead of schedule. Everyone (but me, it seems) is happy about this.
Was it five years ago that everyone was raving about Al Gore’s award winning documentary, The Inconvenient Truth?  Global warming, was briefly on the tip of everyone’s tongue.
Attention spans are short.
Even the Stop Kony video (and nope, I didn’t see it myself), is already yesterdays news.  Funny thing is, Global Warming wasn’t even news in 2006, as it is OLD knowledge. It’s been a concern for me since the late 70’s (yep, that old), and it’s effects were factored into many of the sci-fi’s I read as a teenager.
Try The Sheep Look Up, by John Brunner, a novel I never finished as it hit too close to home (and it was 15 years old when I read it).  I’m not sure if it would even qualify as science fiction now.
And for the illiterate, Charlie Jade, an awesome television series that absolutely nails it in giving warning to where our lives of excess will lead us.  We are getting closer to Charlie’s world every day.
And the worse thing is, we’re just behaving like the proverbial frog in hot water---Mmmm… great day for a dip in the hot tub (until you realize you can’t climb out again).
Well, now after that rant, back to the drawing board, wondering why I bother.  Does any of it mean anything?

PS. Artwork is a polystyrene print on black acrylic ground, 4"x6" (small art for a small planet) on 8x10 paper.  I haven't named it yet, and can't number it, as I did five variations, but I'm not yet sure if more than one makes it to the finish line.

3 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

I love this little piece. Makes me think of ... well... here! :-)

From what I hear, you had no winter. If that keeps up, I think it will be like trying to deny the world is round... But they're out there too aren't they?

Chrissy said...

Hmmm, it has been the same here. We have had 20c degrees plus which is pretty weird for March. Going into April and it is forecast minus 9 next week. I did make the most of the sunshine...but strange swinging temperatures!

kaslkaos said...

No, no winter. Not much snow. The skating ice was a nice consolation prize, but the warm weather, while it felt good was pretty scary.
Michelle, now last I heard, the climate change deniers have changed their story. I was "not happening", but now it's, "well, it's not like the world will go up in flames, so what's your problem, and heck, it's caused by water vapour, and we all like water..."
Argh, there I go ranting again.
Thanks Chrissy and Michelle BOTH for dropping a comment when I'm in full curmudgeon mode. You are both brave.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin