Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Life Drawing Tuesday

12022202susan-female-nude72
11”x14” sketch pad paper, and coloured pencil. Image is photographed.
Susan is a dancer (actually, we had the same dance instructor, which is a fun factoid) and so she has great body knowledge and even for a long 90 minute reclining pose she has a way of making things dramatic. I mostly start my coloured works with ochre or other pale yellow, and you can see how I just barely began to sketch in the overturned stool that she used as a foot rest. But I decided I really like the floating effect created by not drawing in the prop. It reminds me of a hot summer day by the lake, when it’s so hot you can’t help but start drifting off to sleep and gravity loses all meaning to the mind.

5 comments:

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

I love the effect. It's like she's glowing...

Laurel said...

I like the red outline. Even though she's resting there's a lot of movement and energy.

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

very nice :D
she looks like she is floating, relaxing, no cares in the world

kaslkaos said...

Thanks so much, Michelle, Laurel & Jennifer. Sometimes a pose is just very evocative, and it's very special to draw. Have to give the nod to the model on this, as soon as she was in position I was excited to draw (and that definitely is not always the case)

Chrissy said...

I love how you manage to get all that movement and flow :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin