Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Everything’s Circular

12030601circle72  12030602circle72
These two mini’s are matted and on display at the Ottawa School of Art Miniature Print Exhibition.
They are stencilled gelatin prints, using nicely mildewed and completely battered gelatin.  My fascination with circles doesn’t begin here, or end.  I realized when I chose and framed up my prints for the Staircase Showcase that almost everything had a circular motif, prominent or subtle. And it doesn’t end there either.
I’m planning a future road trip to Canada’s East Coast, and thought I need something I can do will seated in the passenger seat of a van. Reading is fine for a few hours at most, sleeping okay for an hour, and gazing out the window is good for a few hours more, but then I get cranky.  So I thought I would take up crochet, being small, portable and requires minimal equipment. I started out thinking in terms of scarf and mittens, but quickly moved on to…you guessed it…circles.
IMG_3820
I find myself far more fascinated with colour and geometry than anything else, so I’ll be doing more medallions in different colour combinations, and five petalled flowers, and eventually put them together with a dark brown crocheted lace (I hope).
I’ve signed up with http://www.ravelry.com and you’ll find me there as….kaslkaos, of course. If you actually want the pattern for any of these, you’ll find them in my ravelry library, or I can send you links. These are really very basic.
 And just because I almost never show my face, I thought I'd add a mug shot. This is my husbands photography. I asked him to photograph the fingerless gloves on my hands, and this is what I ended up with. Turns out to be a nice candid shot, because I had no idea I was being photographed. This is how I look and dress for dog walks on a cool spring day. The pink hoodie is something I found in the woods and it fits perfectly. It's one of my favourite casual items because I found it. Normally, I wouldn't be caught dead in pink, but there is something about 'free' that changed the equation.

5 comments:

Quiltbug said...

I've been a bit concerned that our mutual friend would have you so enthralled with Ravelry that you would not have time to blog. LOL She assures me that will not happen.

Love the circles.

kaslkaos said...

Heh, heh, heh...well, I did join the Crochet Liberation Front group. Next I'll need to start a "I buy my yarn from Walmart" group...

Jennifer Rose Phillip said...

can never go wrong with free...well unless it smells like a hobo :p

there is a lot of nice stuff to make on ravelry, and i could make granny squares and flowers for hours :D

Michelle Basic Hendry said...

Love the prints!

I can't do anything while in a moving vehicle - not read, not sleep and definitely not crochet (I can't crochet! :-) But you will love that trip....!

Chrissy said...

It all looks like a lot of fun...I think crochet is quite theraputic, somehow I think you will have fun with that. Love the fingerless gloves and the bandana :)and yup anything that is free has a certain something!
I can't do anything in a moving vehicle either ~ I would be quite ill!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin